Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by jimjam
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AD4DBDA8-C21D-47FE-9A3A-67BD70D71947 (resized).jpeg
    0505B730-5F61-4491-A526-6AB0FFDB4AF2 (resized).jpeg
    028.jpg
    60.00.jpg
    00066.jpg
    302.jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I just put new decals on a machine. I noticed in the process that the new decals scratch or scuff with minimal contact. I was wondering if anyone has ever clear coated new decals? What they used? And if it helped?
    Thx!

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

I just put new decals on a machine. I noticed in the process that the new decals scratch or scuff with minimal contact. I was wondering if anyone has ever clear coated new decals? What they used? And if it helped?
    Thx!

There is a pin cab product sold by a Pinsider that is a laminate (temporary) covering for the cab sides and backbox. Some research here and you can find it if you are not already aware of it.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from TheBigDog:

Thx!

People definitely do it and I’m fixIng to do it on a WCS94 that I’m restoring. Will let you know how it turns out

I have a BOP 2.0 that had decals clear coated. It has a couple small runs but overall looks pretty sweet. Technically the clear isn’t supposed to bond well to the decal (from what I understand) but this doesn’t seem to stop folks. A clear coated decal has that JJP rascal look to it. Pretty sweet.

#4 6 years ago

Clearcoating decals has no significant benefit. It makes people "feel good". This is not a stencil painted cabinet, where this concept orginated, based on the porous surfaces.

Essentially people are wasting money and time. Adhesion is poor especially on high glossy surfaces, and coating can crack. Normally cracks occur not from scratches but direct impacts, or around legs. As decals are not the same as traditional ink screening, if they peel, the clearcoat cracks, just like lifting old playfield inserts, they chip.

The best thing an owner can do is buy high quality glossy decals that are UV and scratch resistant, and apply them properly including removing old decals/silkscreen and priming the cabinet beforehand.

Clearcoats remain best used for playfields.
    These are the reasons manufacturers do not spray cabinets with added paint style coatings, not just to avoid added cost.

A good silkscreened cabinet is extremely durable, but unfortunately most manufacturers already cost cut this BoM from many games, not just pinball, but arcade and redemption as well today.

Keep flipping.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Clear coating can be hit or miss I guess. Anything else to do to protect the paint on a decal after it’s already applied?

#6 6 years ago

Keep the game out of direct sunlight, use proper equipment and padding when moving games, properly tighten legs with the correct protectors, and ensure minimum spacing of 6 inches between backboxes if possible, 2 inches minimum to prevent scrapes from nudges.

Applying "laminates" to cabinets will turn the finish to matte, and there is no going back ever, unless it is the "cling" type, which also BTW can still remove decal ink after being left on for extended periods. People learn this mistake too late.

#7 6 years ago

I've cleared a few cabinets with decals and haven't experienced anything like BK mentions above. I've only used Next Gen Decals and Two Part-Auto Clear (2PAC), so I can't speak for any other type of clear-coat and decals.

If done with care, the results can be awesome. The machine is tough as nails and looks like glass. The 2PAC allows the pin to sit next to a window without fear of fading, protects it from scratches, edges of the decals will never lift, and the colors are more vibrant.

In the unfortunate event the cabinet ever does get a good scratch, it can be buffed out. I'm not a professional and never cleared anything before this awful pinball hobby took over my free-time. It's not a simple or easy process and I'm still learning something new with each machine that gets done. It might not be worth it to everyone, but I plan on continuing to clear more cabs in the future.
    302.jpg302.jpg
    00066.jpg00066.jpg
    60.00.jpg60.00.jpg
    028.jpg028.jpg

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

I've cleared a few cabinets with decals and haven't experienced anything like BK mentions above. I've only used Next Gen Decals and Two Part-Auto Clear (2PAC), so I can't speak for any other type of clear-coat and decals.
    If done with care, the results can be awesome. The machine is tough as nails and looks like glass. The 2PAC allows the pin to sit next to a window without fear of fading, protects it from scratches, edges of the decals will never lift, and the colors are more vibrant.
    In the unfortunate event the cabinet ever does get a good scratch, it can be buffed out. I'm not a professional and never cleared anything before this awful pinball hobby took over my free-time. It's not a simple or easy process and I'm still learning something new with each machine that gets done. It might not be worth it to everyone, but I plan on continuing to clear more cabs in the future.

Very nice work. I'm sending out a cabinet to be cleared as well. If done properly the cabs look incredible.

#9 6 years ago

Yep I've seen it. It looks spectacular.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Great comment (and photographic proof!) from somebody who's actually done this, instead of grandstanding pontifications unencumbered by experience

#11 6 years ago

Looks great!
    However i'm concerned you may see wrinkling if you don't install metal leg protectors. Or, better yet, remove the decal where the protectors would go, before clearing. Once legs are installed, I could see these wrinkling over time much like playfield posts on overlays that are cleared.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

beautiful games!!!

#13 6 years ago

To each their own. I agree with the Black Knight. I only use wax with no petroleum distillates or silicones on my cabinet decals.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Nice work, thanks for sharing

#15 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

The 2PAC allows the pin to sit next to a window without fear of fading

Very nice work but I don't think any clear coat is uv resistant, I'm almost certain the art will fade just the same cleared or not. I clear coat cabniets and playfields with Polycrylic and Spraymax 2K another 2 part clear coat system.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Wow! Great work, nice examples! Do you clearcoat it yourself? Is it challenging to learn?

Quoted from swanng:

To each their own. I agree with the Black Knight. I only use wax with no petroleum distillates or silicones on my cabinet decals.

How does the wax look on the decals, that seems easier to do. Does it protect the ink very well?
    This game is out in the open, away from my other games, and in a high traffic area. Seeing how easily the decals developed fine scratches just in the application process, I would like something to protect them.
    I haven’t put the cabinet back together yet, and the playfield is still out, so taking it to a body shop to clearcoat isn’t out of the options.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from brenna98:

Looks great!
    However i'm concerned you may see wrinkling if you don't install metal leg protectors. Or, better yet, remove the decal where the protectors would go, before clearing. Once legs are installed, I could see these wrinkling over time much like playfield posts on overlays that are cleared.

Yea, still use those metal leg protectors, but it's not about any wrinkling...more about cabinet dents from the legs. Once the clearcoat has enough time to cure, the surface is bar-top hard and wrinkles aren't a problem.

Quoted from gmkalos:

Very nice work but I don't think any clear coat is uv resistant, I'm almost certain the art will fade just the same cleared or not. I clear coat cabniets and playfields with Polycrylic and Spraymax 2K another 2 part clear coat system.

Not sure about Polycrylic or SprayMax2K, but auto-clear definitely has UV resistant properties. Most cars paint would be faded beyond belief if otherwise.

Quoted from TheBigDog:

Wow! Great work, nice examples! Do you clearcoat it yourself? Is it challenging to learn?

Yes, worked on it myself and it's not extremely difficult, just a lot of little things to pay attention to...plus having the right safety gear. Most of the stuff I learned from Vids playfield thread and some Eastwood automotive videos. After that, just trial and error...the way it's set-up now is very different than my first attempt. If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Yea, still use those metal leg protectors, but it's not about any wrinkling...more about cabinet dents from the legs. Once the clearcoat has enough time to cure, the surface is bar-top hard and wrinkles aren't a problem.

Just for shits and giggles, if its that hard put a pinball in your hand press it into the cabinet. you'll have a crater. If the clear is really hard it'll separate from the decal and/or crack the clear too.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cserold:

People definitely do it and I’m fixIng to do it on a WCS94 that I’m restoring. Will let you know how it turns out
    I have a BOP 2.0 that had decals clear coated. It has a couple small runs but overall looks pretty sweet. Technically the clear isn’t supposed to bond well to the decal (from what I understand) but this doesn’t seem to stop folks. A clear coated decal has that JJP rascal look to it. Pretty sweet.

My first attempt to clear a cabinet. Couldn’t be more pleased with this.

0505B730-5F61-4491-A526-6AB0FFDB4AF2 (resized).jpeg0505B730-5F61-4491-A526-6AB0FFDB4AF2 (resized).jpeg

AD4DBDA8-C21D-47FE-9A3A-67BD70D71947 (resized).jpegAD4DBDA8-C21D-47FE-9A3A-67BD70D71947 (resized).jpeg

#20 5 years ago

Looks real nice, came out way better than my first attempt...good work!

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from BR80:

Looks real nice, came out way better than my first attempt...good work!

Thanks man. I appreciate it .

4 years later
    #22 1 year ago
    Quoted from BR80:

After that, just trial and error...the way it's set-up now is very different than my first attempt. If you need any help, just shoot me a PM.

I have a White Water myself and would love if it looked like yours! Awesome results!

Could you elaborate a bit more about your process? Do you do one layer only? Or multiple with sanding in between?

#23 1 year ago

While you are at it seal the bottom of the cabinet.

I have used single pac clear not as hard as 2pac less likely to crack and peel but still hard enough to protect.

Not as toxic as 2pac.

https://www.kbs-coatings.com/diamondfinish-clear.html

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coating-cabinet-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.