3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7192 (resized).JPG
IMG_7194 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeymorGoldfarbJr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I am working on a playfield swap of a high speed. The star roll-overs are fully clear-coated . I thought it was just a small layer of clear over the opening but the opening is full of plastic. I'm assuming it's molded that way and should have been opened up. I'm looking for suggestions on how to open these up.

IMG_7192 (resized).JPGIMG_7192 (resized).JPGIMG_7194 (resized).JPGIMG_7194 (resized).JPG
#4 3 years ago

The issue I have is the plug appears to be a part of the mold, as if it needed to be cut loose before the insert was placed in the playfield. It is not as easy as just cutting around the top edges. The center portion is all one molded part which needs to be cut apart.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from MrArt2u:

That’s how they come when you buy them new. You just pop the centers out when you’re ready. It’s possible that yours wasn’t cut all the way through? Now, if it’s been cleared over that would definitely make it harder to remove, thus the need for the sharp exacto. I really do believe this is the case looking at your pics.

I believe these were never cut apart before the playfield was cleared. The center portion was one solid piece of plastic on the bottom. I have never seen this issue before.

I began cutting with a brand new #11 exacto and it is starting to lift the clear off the roll-over inserts. I have to cut through plastic too, the removable insert is not just held in with clearcoat.

#8 3 years ago

I finally got the inserts out. They were not molded together just held in, as others explained, by the clear. I had more success with a fine grinding bit and a dremel than I did with the exacto knife.

This is a clear-coated NOS playfield, not a repro.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeymorGoldfarbJr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coated-star-roll-over?tu=SeymorGoldfarbJr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.