(Topic ID: 133646)

Clear coated playfield force you to change game elevation?

By BrianZ

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by BrianZ
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

Anyone had to massively change their game elevation after installing a restored clear coated playfield?

I updated an Addams with a freshly restored and clear coated play field. At the recommended game elevation, it's stupid fast. So fast, that the ball flies by the magnets (when in mode), with almost zero effect. It also now is brutal on many shots, resulting in straight down the middle.

Interested to see other experiences....

I've swapped a few before, and seen a change in behavior; but it was liveable. My Cyclone with CPR CC play field, actually made it a better game....

#2 8 years ago

I'll soon be putting my TAF back together after a clearcoat, so I'll let you know. Did you also wax the playfield?

#3 8 years ago

3 coats of wax too... It's wicked fast. The action between the pop bumpers is incredible....

#4 8 years ago

Usually when you do a swap, you have introduced many new variables:

1. Rebuilt flippers
    2. Real clearcoat with machine polish
    3. New balls
    4. Best waxing the game will ever get
    5. New rod/rings
    6. Nylon sleeves where old ones may have been metal
    7. New rubber that might not be the same formulation as the old Happ stuff that was installed
    8. New links/pivots for slingshots

#5 8 years ago

Try some less powerful flipper coils.
    I changed the bottom 2 to 11630 because the ball would fly up the ramp so fast that it would fly up and hit the back switch bracket and reject the shot.

#6 8 years ago

It will be insanity for about 100 plays or so and then as the finish dulls it will settle down. I don't wax cleared playfields until they calm down a bit.

-c

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Usually when you do a swap, you have introduced many new variables:
    1. Rebuilt flippers
    2. Real clearcoat with machine polish
    3. New balls
    4. Best waxing the game will ever get
    5. New rod/rings
    6. Nylon sleeves where old ones may have been metal
    7. New rubber that might not be the same formulation as the old Happ stuff that was installed
    8. New links/pivots for slingshots

Guilty of 1-4 and 6-8. Was able to clean and recycle the R&R for all but one pop bumper.

Like i said, done this before; but the change in Addams was the most dramatic...

Quoted from CraigC:

It will be insanity for about 100 plays or so and then as the finish dulls it will settle down. I don't wax cleared playfields until they calm down a bit.
    -c

Yeah....my buddy keeps telling me in jest to dump some dirt on it..... It's too damn clean.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from BrianZ:

Was able to clean and recycle the R&R for all but one pop bumper.

Nothing wrong with that.

Usually the old Ring/rods are super polished from years of play.

New ones have a rough finish that scratch up the ball, and thus need to be sanded and polished.

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Nothing wrong with that.
    Usually the old Ring/rods are super polished from years of play.
    New ones have a rough finish that scratch up the ball, and thus need to be sanded and polished.

I threw it in the tumbler with the rest of the Rods and Rings (for about 3 days).

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

-c

Yeah, I am not planning on waxing my newly cleared TAF playfield. I'm not expecting a ton of difference in play, but we'll see. Even before clearing the PF, I was already getting ramp airballs rejected or stuck in the upper left corner by the switch. I had to install a clear cover to eliminate the airballs.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

Yeah, I am not planning on waxing my newly cleared TAF playfield. I'm not expecting a ton of difference in play, but we'll see. Even before clearing the PF, I was already getting ramp airballs rejected or stuck in the upper left corner by the switch. I had to install a clear cover to eliminate the airballs.

I also think that on new cleared playfields you want to wait until all of the outgassing is complete until you wax the playfield, Vid would be the expert here. Years of getting stuff done by Bill Davis this is what i've always done with no issues from most clear coat guys.

-c

#12 8 years ago

If you play at a higher elevation the air is a little thinner so yes the ball will move faster.

#13 8 years ago

Always completely wax your newly clearcoated playfield before you re-populate it.

You really only get that one chance to wax every surface so dust and dirt will be repelled from it.

Wax your ring/rods, ball guides, ramps - everything that will put scratches on the ball and thus wear on your clearcoat.

#14 8 years ago
    Quoted from CraigC:

I also think that on new cleared playfields you want to wait until all of the outgassing is complete until you wax the playfield, Vid would be the expert here. Years of getting stuff done by Bill Davis this is what i've always done with no issues from most clear coat guys.
    -c

Out gassing was done and then some. It sat while I was doing another restore for 6 months. Then it go 2 coats of wax. Populated the play field, and it got another coat in the major areas+balls+ramps....

Quoted from o-din:

If you play at a higher elevation the air is a little thinner so yes the ball will move faster.

LMAO.......................

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coated-playfield-force-you-to-change-game-elevation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.