Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Picture_025.jpg
Picture_022.jpg
Picture_144.jpg
Picture_142.jpg
Picture_138.jpg
#1 12 years ago

well actually yesterday since it is 2:30 AM Indiana time.... I'm going to let it cure for a few days and then finish sand it... I really like this PF ... Zaccaria's have some neat colors.. IMO

Picture_138.jpgPicture_138.jpg

#2 12 years ago

The insert above the clowns head is discolored from the underside.. I haven't tried to clean it out yet.. I already had the PF all level and ready to spray with Clear and I realized I still hadn't cleaned that damn thing out... Anyways, the imperfection has Not been Cleared Coated over...

#3 12 years ago

Cool, can't wait to see the finished product.

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from BillinIndiana:

Zaccaria's have some neat colors

+1 Not usually very complicated art, but the colors are typically different enough in hue and such to really make them stand out.

#5 12 years ago

post some pics after you clear it

#6 12 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

post some pics after you clear it

It is cleared... Just horrible lighting, I'll get some better pics that show the shine later today..

1 week later
#7 12 years ago

I finished Buffing out the Clear Coat on my Devil Riders PF tonight... I really like what automotive clear coats can do to a PF. I think the stuff is amazing.. This is only my second attempt at applying it, but it came out better than my first, so I think I'm heading in the right direction..
It's really hard to get decent pictures that show just how glossy it really is though.. Here are a few angled pics trying to capture the shine...Ha

Thanks for looking, Bill in Indiana

Picture_142.jpgPicture_142.jpg Picture_144.jpgPicture_144.jpg

#8 12 years ago

Looks great, can see its got a nice shine. Good work!

#9 12 years ago

Moved to All Pinball sub forum. Pinside Talk is for forum issues only.

#10 12 years ago

Looks great Bill. Did you get any orange peeling this time?

#11 12 years ago

Nice and clean. great job

#12 12 years ago

Great job. I like the auto clear.

#13 12 years ago

I going to try a clear coat on one of my EMs
any idea on how many coats to apply?

#14 12 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Looks great Bill. Did you get any orange peeling this time?

Yes, I can't seem to get my gun adjusted or my technique corrected to where I don't have it.. I'm not going to let it stop me though.. Thankfully there is such a thing as Sandpaper...!

Thanks for the replies Guys!

#15 12 years ago

Nice. In about a week I'm going to try clearcoating for the first time.

#16 12 years ago
Quoted from DEVILinIRON:

Nice. In about a week I'm going to try clearcoating for the first time.

What PF are you going to do? Have you watched the Pindude videos on youtube? You might have already seen them or have your own attack plan, but they helped me..

#17 12 years ago

This is only my second attempt at applying it, but it came out better than my first, so I think I'm heading in the right direction..

This the one you were doing when we talked last? How far did you have to take the clear down from the first spray? Pics looks great from the angle you took it. Nice job!

#18 12 years ago

What PF are you going to do? Have you watched the Pindude videos on youtube? You might have already seen them or have your own attack plan, but they helped me..

I'm watching it now. Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to clearcoat my Buck Rogers. It's a cheap pin, so I figure it'll be good to learn on. Might take a little longer to get started, if I follow Pindude's videos.

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from PaulyB18:

BillinIndiana said:This is only my second attempt at applying it, but it came out better than my first, so I think I'm heading in the right direction..

This the one you were doing when we talked last? How far did you have to take the clear down from the first spray? Pics looks great from the angle you took it. Nice job!

I sanded a little while on it with 600 grit/wet .. I didn't try to get it Perfect.. It really didn't take much sanding to knock off the majority of the orange peel..Maybe 10 - 15 mins.. The next coats of clear filled in or covered up the remaining roughness

#20 12 years ago

Bill, looks great. Keep updating us.

#21 12 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

I going to try a clear coat on one of my EMs

HDC I did my jubilee and did 2 coats sanded and filled and then another 3 coats. turned out pretty good. I used the varathatne cans

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jubilee-restore-and-clearcoat

#22 12 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

HELLODEADCITY said:I going to try a clear coat on one of my EMs
HDC I did my jubilee and did 2 coats sanded and filled and then another 3 coats. turned out pretty good. I used the varathatne cans
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jubilee-restore-and-clearcoat

I did pretty much the same thing with Auto clear... except I had two very low inserts that I filled first.. I filled them just short of the original finish on the PF.. Let them set over night and then did 2 coats ( 20 minutes apart) Let dry overnight,, sanded and shot two more coats9 20 minutes apart again)...
Waited 3 days and sanded with 600,800,1000,1500 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper.. Buffed with a rubbing compound, then swirl remover and Finally ...Novus 2

This is the same way I did my first PF which also was an old EM.. an Space Odyssey. Here's a link to my Before and After pics of it, if you wanna look
http://www.flickr.com/photos/61462698@N07/sets/72157626855316155/

Have Fun! Bill in Indiana

#23 12 years ago

Wow that Space Odyssey turned out super
looks like a mega amount of time you put into it - but it shows

#24 12 years ago

Bill
What did u lvl the inserts with?

#25 12 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Bill
What did u lvl the inserts with?

Filled them up with Automotive Clear

#26 12 years ago

Bill, did you remove everything under the playfield for the clearcoating? I told myself I was going to, but then I saw all the desoldering required and I'm thinking I'll just leave everything there. I'll probably just remove all the playfield stuff and leave the underside. Pindude did it that way in the video, so it should be all right. I'll be brushing the clearcoat on instead of spraying it too.

#27 12 years ago

Bill, did you remove everything under the playfield for the clearcoating?

No, I built a box and left as much as I could attached to the bottom.. I still desoldered a few things.. Just took pics and notes. I completely removed the Pop Bumpers because you have to if they have a lamp in them anyways. I used Bread ties and Mason's string to group wires and coils together and to try to keep it somewhat organized... It didn't look pretty ! but it got the job done without all the added work of Desolder/Solder.. So I was happy..

Here are a few pics of the end view of the PF on the box. It's almost ready to clear in this pics. I masked the ends off later to protect from clear drifting under the PF.. but I sprayed with an air gun.. You should be all good brushing with just the box..

Have Fun! The work is worth it IMHO..I really like the look of a CC'ed PF.

Picture_022.jpgPicture_022.jpg Picture_025.jpgPicture_025.jpg

#28 12 years ago

No, I built a box and left as much as I could attached to the bottom..

Good to know.... I was thinking of pulling everything off but like this idea much better.

#29 12 years ago

Now on my 1st PF, the Space Odyssey I posted a link to earlier in this thread, I removed everything except for the Braided Wire for the lamps, I left it stapled to the bottom.

#30 12 years ago

looks pretty good bill. i ended up going with the varathane poly spray cans vs the auto clear and activator. (price and time of products) i'll be posting my DH new/used playfield clear coating here probably within a few days. i think i ended up doing 10-12 light coats total (sections of 2 and 3 coats then sand). congrats on your Devil riders!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.00
Tools
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coated-my-devil-riders-pf-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.