(Topic ID: 177213)

Clear coat sheen for ems

By OneFlip

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Looking for opinion and percieved pros and cons of clear coating ems in a satin or semi-gloss finish. I am considering refinishing a game in a satin finish.

I am aware that some suggest clearing a game in high gloss and then "knocking" it down to a lower sheen but I would like to refinish the game properly in the desired sheen.

HSA offers this, has anyone had an em cleared by them in a lower sheen ?

#2 7 years ago

In my experience, it's partly the extreme gloss of a modern coating and partly the extreme clarity of this type of coating that makes it look odd on a vintage EM playfield.

For me, the best topcoat on an EM playfield is oil-based gloss polyurethane. The gloss is not as extreme as a modern coating, and it also has a nice amber patina that I think looks good on an EM.

- TimMe

#3 7 years ago
    Quoted from OneFlip:

Looking for opinion and percieved pros and cons of clear coating ems in a satin or semi-gloss finish. I am considering refinishing a game in a satin finish....has anyone had an em cleared by them in a lower sheen ?

Not sure what you are asking opinions on, are you clearing after making repairs for protection or for cosmetic reasons?

#4 7 years ago

Asking opinions regarding sheen for cosmetic reasons. The sheen should not be a factor for protection.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from OneFlip:

Asking opinions regarding sheen for cosmetic reasons. The sheen should not be a factor for protection.

No, but the reason to clear a playfield (pro) is to protect repairs as I understand. If it for cosmetic reasons why not wax and polish the best you can?

#6 7 years ago

They say less glossy sheens show wear and scratches faster than gloss sheens. A flatter finish is the same as gloss with a flatting agent added. The flatting agent is some kind of particles that cause a microscopically irregular surface as the finish cures, breaking up the light reflecting off the surface. Supposedly scratches and wear appear more quickly in flatter finishes as the flatting particles stuck in the surface are disturbed. Whether this will be an issue on a pinball instead of a floor I don't know. Personally I like gloss, it really helps colors shine through. It was a long time ago but the original finish even on EMs would've been gloss afaik. If you don't end up liking the flatter sheen you can always buff it back to gloss, or vice versa. Extra work, yes, but not the end of the world.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from polyacanthus:

The flatting agent is some kind of particles that cause a microscopically irregular surface as the finish cures...
    Supposedly scratches and wear appear more quickly in flatter finishes as the flatting particles stuck in the surface are disturbed.

Quoted from polyacanthus:

you can always buff it back to gloss, or vice versa.

I don't understand these statements. If a flattening agent is added to the finish how can you buff it back to gloss? Wouldn't the buffing "disturb the flattening particles"?

#9 7 years ago

Thats my c37. HSA restored it and told me the type of clearcoat he uses is the same for gloss or matte finish. If you want the final look to be glossy instead of matte he just polishes it more after the last coat.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from TimMe:

In my experience, it's partly the extreme gloss of a modern coating and partly the extreme clarity of this type of coating that makes it look odd on a vintage EM playfield.
    For me, the best topcoat on an EM playfield is oil-based gloss polyurethane. The gloss is not as extreme as a modern coating, and it also has a nice amber patina that I think looks good on an EM.
    - TimMe

Ive used Minwax spray gloss polyurethane for the 2 playfields Ive done and I agree with TimMe, the slight amber color looks very appropriate on the GTB EMs.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

I don't understand these statements. If a flattening agent is added to the finish how can you buff it back to gloss? Wouldn't the buffing "disturb the flattening particles"?

Think of it like concrete with aggregate. Just plop it down and it has a rough and irregular surface. But grind it down and polish it and you can get it nice and smooth. It still has aggregate, you are just grinding everything to the same level.

With finishes, the flat look isn't inside the finish, it's literally just the very surface that's rough and breaking up the light.

#12 7 years ago

Duplicate

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

Ive used Minwax spray gloss polyurethane for the 2 playfields Ive done and I agree with TimMe, the slight amber color looks very appropriate on the GTB EMs.

Any photos of these on hand?

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from spiroagnew:

Any photos of these on hand?

hard to show coatings in pics but here is a GrandSlam I did a couple of years ago. I was a little off in the green touch out but this had 3 coats of poly

https://goo.gl/photos/C2ewLFDBEdkL3wwXA

#15 7 years ago

Ive decided to clear coat my game in a satin finish. 30 degrees specifically. Ran some tests of sheens at differently degrees and like this choice.
    A few reasons for choosing this but a one that someone pointed out to me and is that fine art is usually displayed in museum glass that prevents glare to display the art better and the art on the playfield should be no different. Even non-glare playfield glass is considered an upgrade.
    Shiny new clearcoats always look good; primarily because they're new clearcoats. I havent seen any "prefessional" level clearcoats in other sheens but after testing some lower sheens the flatter finishes look fantastic too and won't give off annoying relection of over head lights or anything else.
    Oddly enough someone else started a poll on whether to choose matte or goossy for his JO and that happens to be the same game I am restoring.

Added over 7 years ago: Sorry, gloss rating of 30 degrees should read a gloss rating of 30 GU. Does anyone else confirm the gloss rating on the product they are spraying for ems ?

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from OneFlip:

Oddly enough someone else started a poll on whether to choose matte or goossy for his JO and that happens to be the same game I am restoring.

Yes...I'm the idiot that didn't find your incredibly recent thread before starting my own. Sorry about that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coat-sheen-for-ems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.