Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b682dd0efe27ebb9de619c23029b004f03af054c (resized).jpg
    a42d9ecacc8af0fe6ec8df14e80bb0faa34a7eed (resized).jpg
    099b75e0880f1e0e214602def1187444cb6cb902 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpadam450.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I've read the long threads about clear coating by the gurus for restoration and application. Someone also told me the clear should last forever. I'm just wondering if that is actually 100% true. Will a 2K spray coat hold up (waxed or unwaxed), mostly forever? Or is there still a lifespan? I suppose if you have a couple minor issues you can polish and buff out, but over time you wear the coat down. I haven't owned a pinball machine long enough, so just wondering if a stern built 10-20 years ago if you guys see signs of degradation or it is simply too hard a material to really to wear through.

#26 2 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone. When I said 2K I just meant 2 part, meaning mostly auto, but I don't know the long-term resistance of the spray can stuff either. I'm mostly talking in terms of extensive play in arcade, not just sitting for 20 years with only 10 plays. I'm surprised how well the playfields resist steel balls rolling when you go to an arcade and watch games get played over an hour of play. For instance the Vegas Pinball museum, I was wondering if those might need to be playfield maintained maybe every 5 years or if the upkeep of clean/polish/wax is holding them up so long. Those machines get so much play.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dpadam450.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coat-lifespan?tu=dpadam450 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.