(Topic ID: 125390)

Clear coat - affect on game play?

By wayout440

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2001.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 8 years ago

Even those old EM playfields were cleared originally.

If you wanted a "low sheen" clearcoat that matched those old EMs, you can easily "knock down" the high gloss of a 2PAC clear with Rottenstone. You will still have all the protection and color pop of 2PAC, but without the high gloss.

#19 8 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

If the clearcoat is thick, won't that "blur" the artwork underneath? I like what you're saying, but I'm afraid to try it.

You don't want it thick, you just want to protect the game from wear.

BUT, I always fill in cupped inserts with 2PAC (thus many times thicker than a playfield clearcoat), and it does not blur the underlying artwork at all.

In fact, auto 2PAC is so clear that it makes the colors pop, where water based clear dulls the colors.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

So is a coat of wax, but it does speed up ball movement. Yes, auto clear is much more durable long term, but say you had one machine with a perfect playfield that was just cleared with lacquer, not sitting in a box for 40+ years where it could plank, craze, oxidize or whatever, and another machine with a freshly cleared 2PAC playfield. If you played the first game on each playfield would you notice much difference?

It's a more complex issue, but bear with me:

The topcoat lacquer back then was silkscreened on, not sprayed. So it had a different surface.

If you sprayed a coat of lacquer on, it indeed would play like a modern 2PAC (just look how shiny a showcar is with lacquer finish!).

A 2PAC clear is REALLY clear, whereas a lacquer clear turns yellow/brown.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

Personally, I like the speed offered by a smooth clearcoat, but that's just me. But I would do this if going for accuracy.

You could try it both ways, mirror and knocked down finish.

You would just repolish it or depolish it at anytime you wanted - the clear does not care.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/27#post-1986492

1 month later
    #29 8 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

My only concern for the future is how to deal with any scratches... though with such a smooth surface and a new ball, it should take a long time for that to become an issue.

You will get scratches from little nicks in the ball.

Polish playfield with Novus to remove, then replace balls.

#36 8 years ago

The rubber of today has more clay filler in it.

The coil sleeves of today are nylon.

The balls of today are better polished.

So even a restored EM is not going to play exactly like when it was new, no matter what clearcoat you apply.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vid1900.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coat-affect-on-game-play?tu=vid1900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.