(Topic ID: 125390)

Clear coat - affect on game play?

By wayout440

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2001.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 9 years ago

I always laugh when someone calls a pinball machine a table. It makes them sound like a member of the Grey Poupon set.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

^^^^ Exactly
    My question is....if you had a NOS playfield that was freshly cleared using whatever was available at the time vs. a playfield that was cleared with 2PAC, would you REALLY notice that much difference?

It was a thin coat of lacquer, not at all the same as automotive clears that are being used today.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

So is a coat of wax, but it does speed up ball movement. Yes, auto clear is much more durable long term, but say you had one machine with a perfect playfield that was just cleared with lacquer, not sitting in a box for 40+ years where it could plank, craze, oxidize or whatever, and another machine with a freshly cleared 2PAC playfield. If you played the first game on each playfield would you notice much difference?

I'm not sure where you're going trying to equate wax with clearing, but the answer is, if the playfield is almost perfectly smooth, you're probably not going to notice a whole lot of difference regardless of what was used to clear it.

If you know where there's an EM that has the qualities you described there, let me know, because I'm going to buy it.

Clearing really isn't an attempt to change the play of the machine. It has that effect, but that's not really the purpose at all.

If you make substantial touchups to a playfield, you pretty well have to do it just to save what you've done. Otherwise, as long as the playfield is in good shape and the touchups, if any, are minor, I'd just leave it alone. Waxing it occasionally and replacing the ball is generally enough.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

This is what I was getting at, and is exactly what I think too. Which means that all games played more or less like they had 2PAC when they came off the assembly line.
    Of course, the wear properties are different, some just totally sucked (*cough* System 9 *cough*). So the next question is, were older games designed to play just like they did off the line or did they expect a 'break in' period to calm down ball speed, sliding and spin?

To be honest, I doubt they cared. All they wanted was to get the games out and on location and make money, and make more games so they could sell them to the operators and the operators could toss the games they had on location once they were used up, and buy new ones to replace them.

The manufacturers and operators never looked at games like we do as collectors. They were a commodity to be thrown away when their usefulness was done. If they wore out, they were thrown out. So I doubt they were very concerned over any of this stuff.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider emsinkc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coat-affect-on-game-play?tu=emsinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.