12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by shock_me
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

I am selling my Eight Ball to a friend and he requested I clear coat the backglass to avoid flaking. I normally only clear them if there is flaking or looks like it might start flaking. This back glass is mint and not sure if I should clear it or not. What is everyone's opinion? I wouldn't think it would hurt it but it is similar to the saying "dont fix it unless it is broken"

#2 12 years ago

I guess it is no different than changing the oil in your car...a preventive thing. Do you use triple thick when you protect a backglass or something else?

#3 12 years ago

I'm no pro but I have never heard of painting glass with clearcoat. I'm sure someone will chime in, but I would think adherence would be an issue? ,,,, maybe,,,, wth do I know

#4 12 years ago

If it's not flaking or peeling - I would just leave it alone.

#5 12 years ago

I agree that if its not flaking its better off left alone.

#6 12 years ago

Clear coat is a serious preventive measure. Flaking is a serious problem in your backglass. If it's mint you want to keep it that way. I'd rather not mess with trying to repair backglass because of handling, humidity or anything else. On the other hand I've never heard of any complaints because a backglass was clear coated correctly. Don't forget to block out the score windows.

#7 12 years ago

What kind of clear coat product (specific name) would one use if they felt their backglass needed it in certain areas that were close to flaking, and where would I get the product at?

#8 12 years ago

I've used "KRYLON Triple-Thick Crystal Clear Glaze" in a 12 oz spray can from any hardware or paint store, there's always Home Depot or Lowes too. Don't forget to read and understand the instructions on the can.

#9 12 years ago

if it's not cracking, bubbling or flaking I'd leave it alone. Unless it's going somewhere like an extremely damp basement it should remain mint and intact.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/clear-coat-a-back-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.