(Topic ID: 50632)

Cleaning/waxing playingfields in tight area's - Dremel accessory suggestions??

By ritewhereiwant2b

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 130 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

zpfile000.jpg
yellingcoach.jpg
bth_mind.gif
life-coach-larry.jpg
torches-and-pitchforks.jpg
epic.jpg
pig-run.gif
Digging-Hole001.jpg
evil_laugh_by_bakamichi.gif

This topic is closed.

There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 10 years ago

I have a Stern Spiderman 2007 and the top half of the playing field is tight and onerous to strip to say the least, but there are area's that require cleaning and waxing and Id like to get to it this weekend...

Can anyone recommend a cleaning and or polishing dremel accessory that you have had success with that fits in orbits, ramps and tight area's that you find on the top playing fields of pins?

Thank you in advance!!

#2 10 years ago

Bite the bullet and do it right.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

thanks for that... ...and thank you for helping me feel fortunate that you are a member of this forum and not in my circle of friends...

#4 10 years ago

Lloyd is right. Dremels have too small of an attachment to clean large areas well, spin too fast (could burn right through a clear coat) and I could see the attachment getting stuck to something and causing damage to the game and possibly yourself.

#5 10 years ago

lloyd didnt say that, did he?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from ritewhereiwant2b:

lloyd didnt say that, did he?

I thought I did.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clearer.

This is a situation where trying to save time may end up costing more time or potentially harm your game.

Not fun, but there are times you just have to put the time and effort in and do the job right.

#7 10 years ago

should not need to clean and wax really- but it can be useful polish metal surfaces to large to fit in a tumbler or catching egdes on a large buffer. then dremles can be quiet useful, some have var speed too.

#8 10 years ago

oh for atachments i like cones for tight work

#9 10 years ago

No, you said: "Bite the bullet and do it right."

Considering the context of my question, I'd call that a smart-ass remark...

Also, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LECTURING ME: "there are times you just have to put the time and effort in and do the job right."

YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW ME!!! I would NEVER presume to lecture people I don't know

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

Lloyd is right.

Lloyd is always right. Can't wait for the road trip up there next month! I have to meet this pinball god!

#11 10 years ago

Also, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LECTURING ME: "there are times you just have to put the time and effort in and do the job right."

You signed up mere days ago, if you stick around you will realize that LTG is perhaps the most knowledgable person on here, and is a really nice guy that was most likely not trying to be rude but give you his honest advice. Sometimes the answer you get is not the answer you hope for.

#12 10 years ago

I do not know you either but tear it down the long way and do it right. There is only one right way all else is looking for an easy way out. IMHO.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

I do not know you either but tear it down the long way and do it right. There is only one right way all else is looking for an easy way out. IMHO.

Agreed.

If you are on a forum looking for sound advice, don't get upset if the advice isn't what you wanted to hear. And picking a fight with one of the most helpful guys on this site is certainly not the best way to get future inquiries addressed.

#14 10 years ago

Who is Lloyd? A Pinside member who is so knowledgeable that he has his own section here dedicated to helping all of us: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/dearlloyd . You are yelling at one of the top experts in the world on the subject of pinball maintenance and repair.

I'm sorry you did not like his absolutely correct answer. Messing with Lloyd will not make you any friends here. You're new. I hope you do an about face...apologize...and enjoy the rest of your time here on Pinside. Otherwise, it's going to be a rough road ahead for you.

#15 10 years ago

^^ Agreed 100%. There was nothing wrong with Lloyd's advice and neither was it a "smart ass" comment or a lecture. This is though: grow up.

#16 10 years ago

Striping a machine is never going to be much fun, but if it's an area you think you could have reached with a Dremel, then I'm guessing it could be possible to get in there with a cloth and some fine cutting paste. It's tough work doing it this way, and you must make sure you get rid of all the residue, but you can get some good results, and it would save you going the whole hog. You should spray on some cleaning fluid first like Novus, then the cut, then more Novus, then simply wax it after.

Failing that, as has been said (although maybe got taken the wrong way accidentally), you would have to remove the bits to get to it properly. If you don't want an entire strip, then you could at least remove enough to make it easier for you to get to the localised spots you want to work on.

I don't know LLoyd, but it's my experience that most people on here are pretty helpful towards each other, but sometimes comments don't seem to be what you expect or seem to be a little short or blasé. People who love there pins sometimes forget that not everyone wants to wade in and strip a machine right off the bat, where as others wouldn't dream of anything but a complete strip the moment it comes through the door. Generally it's just one persons manor not fitting in with someone else's. But usually it's just it aimed in the right direction.

Good luck there chap and welcome to Pinside.

#17 10 years ago

And this guy immediately secures his status as a complete douche.

LTG is by far the most helpful person here. Also, remind me to add " have you ever tried to clean your playfield with a Dremel" to my list of questions when buying a game.

#18 10 years ago

I use a power sander for all delicate PF work....

Anyways....

Lloyd had correctly diagnosed 2 issues I recently had with a pin that was behaving erratically.... Over the Internet- with limited details! Saved me countess stress....I'd take his advice.

And, when you come here and ask for help- I'm a bit surprised at your response?

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

I use a power sander for all delicate PF work....

dude thats crazy.... thats what ice picks and screwdrivers are for.

#20 10 years ago

I used my sandblaster to strip the wax off my playfield. Took it all down to nice bare wood! Now I just need to touch it up with a dirty sock dipped in finger paint.

#21 10 years ago

Talk about bitching about the wrong person, grow up.

#22 10 years ago

I actually agree that it's annoying when you ask a question and someone responds by telling you to ditch your idea completely and take a different approach that you already knew about and were trying to avoid. But even so, your Amy's Baking Company-esque meltdown response is ridiculous.

Anyway, to actually answer your question, I have never heard of a person using a dremel attachment to clean any part of a playfield, but some people like to use a rag attached to the end of a stick to get around orbits without taking off ramps. Some use one of those little grabber tools with a rag gripped in its jaws, like this: http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-70399-UltraTech-Mechanical/dp/B002RHP7TS/ref=sr_1_11

Some use another variation on the rag on a stick idea, "Pimp Stix," available here: http://www.amazon.com/Pimp-Stixxx-Component-Detailing-Motorcycles/dp/B000FVC6K6/ref=sr_1_cc_1

#23 10 years ago

All I can say is wow. Hope they don't put out a FS thread....that is where you can really get it on here

#24 10 years ago

LOL.. no good deed goes unpunished. I love the interweb.

#25 10 years ago

I have used an old plunger rod, with the pull knob off, and with the rubber tip on, as a great tool to reach way up under ramps, and in very tight places.

#26 10 years ago

With all due respect, I won't back down...

LTG was condescending and rude to me and regardless of "who" he is in this community I give respect, expect respect back and push back when I or others are not shown the respect they deserve. Period.

I know a little about giving advice as I am a career and interview coach and am always careful to show people respect - let me draw this point out a bit: I do not only show people respect when I think people have earned it (like some have eluded to by me being new here and LTG being a "pinball God"), but I show respect from the moment I meet people as part of a social contract in a just and equal society.

So, last night it was late, I was tired, maybe I did over react, but a button was pushed and I spoke my mind. ...and then this very new member was made to feel very unwelcome here at pinside.

Thank you Muppet_Man, lladnip and Kerry_richard, for your input.

#27 10 years ago

LTG was condescending and rude to me and regardless of "who" he is in this community I give respect (when warranted) and expect respect back. Period.
I know a little about giving advice as I am a career and interview coach and am always careful to show people respect - let me draw this point out a bit: I do not only show people respect when I think people have earned it (like some have eluded to by me being new here and LTG being a "pinball God"), but I show respect from the moment I meet people as part of a social contract in a just and equal society.
So, last night it was late, I was tired, maybe I did over react, but a button was pushed and I spoke my mind. ...and then this very new member was made to feel very unwelcome here at pinside.
Thank you Muppet_Man and lladnip, for your input.

Not helping. You need to start over. Perhaps spend some time reviewing the 55000+ helpful and gracious, gentlemanly posts over at RGP for a start.

#28 10 years ago

Whether you are new and whether LTG is established is neither here nor there. You received an answer you didn't particularly like AND STARTED SHOUTING about SOMEBODY LECTURING YOU.

Which he didn't.

Is that the advice you give in your career and interview coaching sessions? If you get a response you don't like then SHOUT AT THEM.

#29 10 years ago

LTG was condescending and rude to me and regardless of "who" he is in this community I give respect, expect respect back and push back when I or others are not shown the respect they deserve. Period.

Wow. Lloyd is always causing trouble on Pinside. What a smart ass you "pinball God".

OP, you should get to know the community that your are asking help from. Really bad way to start here. And wouldn't a "career coach" take a different approach in this "situation"?

If you think Lloyd was rude, you evidently haven't read any other posts on Pinside, let alone RPG.

I hate to burst your bubble but society is not equal and just. Far from it.

#30 10 years ago

Back down from receiving advice you didn't care for, even though it is sound advice and the absolute best and most concise answer to the question you asked, because you didn't care for the tone of 7 typed words? Really...

#31 10 years ago

Well at least I got my morning laugh today.

Lloyd you condescending bastage!

evil_laugh_by_bakamichi.gifevil_laugh_by_bakamichi.gif

Fwiw, he was right though. If you just dusting, a rag and a piece of string is fine, but for a real buff/clean,, you got's to bite the bullet and tear down.

#32 10 years ago

Lloyd's response was not rude, just to the point. Hard to read tone in text, but your reaction was overblown based on that fact.

#33 10 years ago

Wow. He wasn't condescending, or rude. If your expectation is to be coddled like a prissy princess, it's best not to leave the castle.

#34 10 years ago

Im actually feeling bullied now.

I found my answer: the Dremel part that fits is part number 429, felt polishing wheel.

As a business owner, a baseball coach and a father of two, I don't have time to completely strip a machine, maybe in the fall on a cold rainy day, but not presently.

#35 10 years ago

I found my answer: the Dremel part that fits is part number 429, felt polishing wheel.
As a business owner, a baseball coach and a father of two, I don't have time to completely strip a machine, maybe in the fall on a cold rainy day, but not presently.

Shortage of time is well understood by us all. It can be a very time consuming hobby. If you don't have the time to fully strip, no problem.

But using a dremel can be a risky attempt. Not saying it wouldn't work if you're careful, but it could go really bad very quickly as well.

No one has bullied you. Look at some other threads on this site if you want to see harsh comments.

Maybe you need some "un-sensitivity" training...

#36 10 years ago

I read something on the Novus label before... its a carcinogen or something when used with a buffing wheel...

I actually tried dremel plus some polishing compound...on a demo old Paragon we have... it burnt through the paint quicker than i would have thought...

#37 10 years ago

I was a bit surprised there was no bragging about how much money ritewhereiwant2b makes during the "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE LECTURING ME" part or the "With all due respect, I won't back down..." part.

No worries, my man. Just get on the good foot.

#38 10 years ago

Oh please, grow a sack and stop acting like a hurt baby. Someone on the internet, who just happens to be one of the nicest people in the community, gave you an answer you didn't like and you went apeshit.

#39 10 years ago

Well I'm glad you found your part. Here's what will happen with a dremel though. That little felt wheel is going to fling product, (Novus or wax or whatever), all over everything else back there, thus making even more work for yourself. Pinball cleaning and maintenance takes a lot of time and effort. That's just the way it is

Sorry you feel bullied, but Lloyd answers HUNDREDs of questions regarding pinball. His reply style is short, sweet, and to the point if possible, and never with any ill intent.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

Lloyd answers HUNDREDs of questions regarding pinball

more accurately TENS OF THOUSANDS

#41 10 years ago

And you were pushed back for not having respect for LTG or anyone else here. If something as trivial as LTG's response set you off you gotta suck as a career/ interview coach.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

more accurately TENS OF THOUSANDS

I meant today...LOL!

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from NiftyLED:

I read something on the Novus label before... its a carcinogen or something when used with a buffing wheel...

You are correct on this. According to the MSDS:

This product may contain crystalline silica, which is known to cause
cancer by inhalation. If this product is used with mechanical polishing, dusts may be created that can be a chronic inhalation hazard. See Section 7
for measures to prevent exposure

For mechanical polishing, wear dust mask

But, as a father of two and a baseball coach, I'm sure he knows. He didn't mention Novus, but I think we are all hoping he is using that instead of kerosene.

#44 10 years ago

I know a little about giving advice as I am a career and interview coach and am always careful to show people respect

yep, a lot of respect that you showed there
as you stated yourself, it was late and you overreacted to lloyd's response, and yet you haven't apologised. you're definitely a "glass is half full" type person. where can I sign up for life coaching from you?

#45 10 years ago

Digging-Hole001.jpgDigging-Hole001.jpg

#46 10 years ago

I'm still feeling irritated by all this. Frankly, the notion of LTG being described as condescending, rude, and a smart-ass is so preposterous it has me wondering if this thread is merely an effort at trolling.

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

I'm still feeling irritated by all this. Frankly, the notion of LTG being described as condescending, rude, and a smart-ass is so preposterous it has me wondering if this thread is merely an effort at trolling.

I was thinking that too, but who the hell uses "I'm a baseball coach"? At least come up with something with some weight to it. I'm retired and not on my boat, I'm Chris Hadfield, ima little teapot etc.

#48 10 years ago

I'm sorry.

I was only trying to help.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry.

Haven't you helped enough already Mr. Smarty Pants!

#50 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm sorry.

Most unnecessary apology ever.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfield, CT
$ 25.50
Machine - For Sale
Lombard, IL
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 25.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 130 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaningwaxing-playingfields-in-tight-areas-dremel-accessory-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.