(Topic ID: 82236)

Cleaning worn playfield question.

By rabidbear

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0920.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG

#1 10 years ago

So have been enjoying reading about pin upkeep and care. Most threads seem to be focused on touched up or fully restored playfields. I've read through Vid1900's excellent playfield restoration guide and while I may at some point make an attempt, at this moment I don't have the time or space. I also kind of like the look of my worn playfield - it gives it character in my opinion. That being said, I'm cleaning my playfield this weekend and would like to know what folks do to protect their games from further wear. Clearcoating would be optimum but with a non ventilated area inside and cold weather outside it isn't an option for me at this time. So to protect from further wear just clean then wax? And what should be the wait time between waxing and playing?

#2 10 years ago

Anyone?

#3 10 years ago

You could always use some clear nail polish (like hard as nails) and lightly brush over the worn areas to help prevent future wear....

#4 10 years ago

Lots of posts on this subject. Couple of options.... Varathane, Wax then mylar, wax then shelf paper, etc...

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from fattrain:

You could always use some clear nail polish (like hard as nails) and lightly brush over the worn areas to help prevent future wear....

If I was to do something like this would I still be able to do touch-ups later?

I must have entered wrong search terms in looking for an answer.

How long to wait between waxing and playing? Don't I need to wait a bit for the wax to set?

#6 10 years ago

nope... wax doesn't "set"... wax and play...

i have a machine with a pf that has wear down to the wood in places... i just keep it waxed really well... seems to work for me...

#7 10 years ago

Let's see some pictures with the glass off.

#8 10 years ago

IMG_0919.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0919.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0920.JPGIMG_0921.JPGIMG_0921.JPG
    Here they are.

#9 10 years ago

I would just clean with Novus 2 and wax with carnauba wax and enjoy.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-worn-playfield-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.