Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Vespula
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DE5EC1E8-CBDC-4AD3-BA3A-AE000E4D2201 (resized).jpeg
    52A08BB1-BB11-4068-B7AD-03ADCF10AF5D (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Is there a safe way to clean the back of the translite without taking the artwork off. Can’t tell if it’s dirty or just yellow from use also wondering if it really matters that much

#2 1 year ago

I used soap and water misted out of a spray bottle. First pass cleaning. Then used mix that was 40% 91% rubbing alcohol, 60% water in spray bottle.

#3 1 year ago

Yes can't go wrong with soup and water

#4 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Wont that leave a smell?

#5 1 year ago

If its Data East be careful or just dont do it. I had the graphis come off on a couple different games just trying to seperate the translite from the glass. Williams are pretty good. Start with a wet microfiber and go from there.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williampinball:

Campbells chunky work?

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

If its Data East be careful or just dont do it. I had the graphis come off on a couple different games just trying to seperate the translite from the glass. Williams are pretty good. Start with a wet microfiber and go from there.

Yeah it’s a Bally game TZ

#8 1 year ago

Ive used 60 grit sandpaper unsuccessfully.

But seriously, I’ve never had a problem with a mild all purpose cleaner like 409. As long as I’m gently wiping and not scrubbing.

I guess safer to start with soap and water.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Yeah it’s a Bally game TZ

I have been loving dawn powerwash lately. Haven't had any issues with it ruining plastics or graphics. Have not tried it on a translite but it's gotta be safer than 409.

#10 1 year ago

Ok try at your own risk…

I have used this method for years however it takes a bit of finesse… I apply novus 2 to a Terry cloth and lightly using a circular motion do small areas (1/5) of the translite at a time. Once applied immediately remove with a new terry cloth using the same motion.

I have brought back several severely smoked dirt and grime ridden translites using this method.

Cation: applying too much pressure will start to remove the “gray” portions.

Only use this method if you have large balls

Note: you can also use Novus 2 to clean the glass front and back it will be new again… be sure to pre wash

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

dawn powerwash

This and regular Dawn 4x.
    Just eats the dirt. Hell if you can wash a duck with it , got to be safe for my pinball parts

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

This and regular Dawn 4x.
    Just eats the dirt. Hell if you can wash a duck with it , got to be safe for my pinball parts

This is true

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Ok try at your own risk…
    I have used this method for years however it takes a bit of finesse… I apply novus 2 to a Terry cloth and lightly using a circular motion do small areas (1/5) of the translite at a time. Once applied immediately remove with a new terry cloth using the same motion.
    I have brought back several severely smoked dirt and grime ridden translites using this method.
    Cation: applying too much pressure will start to remove the “gray” portions.
    Only use this method if you have large balls
    Note: you can also use Novus 2 to clean the glass front and back it will be new again… be sure to pre wash

I’ve used Novus 2, and have used Krud Kutter. Don’t rub too hard. I watched gunk literally run off spraying Krud Kutter.

52A08BB1-BB11-4068-B7AD-03ADCF10AF5D (resized).jpeg52A08BB1-BB11-4068-B7AD-03ADCF10AF5D (resized).jpegDE5EC1E8-CBDC-4AD3-BA3A-AE000E4D2201 (resized).jpegDE5EC1E8-CBDC-4AD3-BA3A-AE000E4D2201 (resized).jpeg
    #14 1 year ago

A damp cloth usually works fine for me.

If something is really bad, I'll dillute some simple green and put it on a cloth.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mank:

I’ve used Novus 2, and have used Krud Kutter. Don’t rub too hard. I watched gunk literally run off spraying Krud Kutter. [quoted image][quoted image]

+1 Krud Kutter. Great stuff. Very gentle.

Did my Shaq and LW3, both came out great!

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Is there a safe way to clean the back of the translite without taking the artwork off. Can’t tell if it’s dirty or just yellow from use also wondering if it really matters that much

Or get a real backglass. Search alphabetically.

https://classicplayfields.com/product-category/pinball-backglasses/

Bally cheap translites look washed out in comparison.

#17 1 year ago

Palmolive and warm water

#18 1 year ago

Are you guys suggesting that maybe bleach and a pressure washer isn't a good idea?

On a serious note, I've cleaned the back of my translites with this special TV cleaning spray solution I bought years ago. It's made to be safe for electronic cleaning and to be gentle on TV screens, especially ones with anti glare coatings. It won't damage them.

I just spray some on a microfiber cloth and wiped them down.

I'll take a picture of the product and post it up in here tomorrow night.

#19 1 year ago

Noob Q...

What's up with the loose floppy paper back on my rush pro?
    Shouldn't that be adhered to the glass? Or is that the way Stern does it with their pro games?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-white-side-of-a-translite-?hl=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.