(Topic ID: 214641)

Methods used for cleaning used plastics?

By ImNotNorm

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46 (resized).jpg
    s-l300 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

Just got a set of used plastics & I'm just wondering what people do/use to clean them.

- Apply Novus 2?
    - Soak them in soap and water?
    - Dishwasher?

They aren't in bad shape or extremely dirty...I just want to make them shine again without damaging them or removing the art.

Just curious about the different techniques everyone uses...

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just got a set of used plastics & I'm just wondering what people do/use to clean them.
    - Apply Novus 2?
    - Soak them in soap and water?
    - Dishwasher?
    They aren't in bad shape or extremely dirty...I just want to make them shine again without damaging them or removing the art.
    Just curious about the different techniques everyone uses...

Novus no1 is a definite yes, Soak in soapy water only if Novus No1 does not work. A definite no for the dishwasher from us.

Good luck!

#3 6 years ago

Dawn power dissolver (Walmart used to sell this in a solid blue bottle, but now only office supply places have it for about $12 per large bottle. It's SUPER concentrated, you can probably add 50% water and get two bottles out of it), then flame polish. Aside from yellowing, that takes care of everything.

You only have to be careful on the back side. If you leave it on more than a few seconds, it can start to take off the white basecoat. I just spray it on a wet sponge, wipe quickly and rinse immediately. Works GREAT. My go-to.

https://www.pjpmarketplace.com/dawn-1983-power-dissolver-32-oz-two-pack.html

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from pinballaddicted:

A definite no for the dishwasher from us.

What if we got our dishwasher from Sears instead of you guys?

#5 6 years ago

Novus no1 is a definite yes, Soak in soapy water only if Novus No1 does not work. A definite no for the dishwasher from us.
    Good luck!

Just confirming Novus 1 and not Novus 2

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What if we got our dishwasher from Sears instead of you guys?

That is funny! Maybe the Sears dishwasher will have a gentle cycle.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Just confirming Novus 1 and not Novus 2

Novus No2 will take the silkscreening off the back of the plastic. You can use it on the other side if you want to. The No1 usually brings the plastics up pretty nice.

#8 6 years ago

Novus No2 will take the silkscreening off the back of the plastic. You can use it on the other side if you want to. The No1 usually brings the plastics up pretty nice.

Awesome...thanks

#9 6 years ago

For the back side I use Simple Green. For baked on dirt / cigarette smoke it takes a little more work, but eventually all comes off without harming the artwork.

#10 6 years ago

Pick up some CP100. Works great on all plastics and playfield cleaning. Its all i use.
    s-l300 (resized).jpgs-l300 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

No to beedblasting

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chuck_Sherman:

No to beedblasting

What about bead blasting? Pro? Con?

#13 6 years ago

How about sandblasting ?

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

How about sandblasting ?

What about crop dusting?

#15 6 years ago

I just used denatured alcohol to clean the dirt off the tops and then a lot of polishing with Novus 2 to make my ratty Getaway plastics presentable.

For the bottom, printed side, I wouldn’t do anything harsher than you need to. My plastics have some solvent damage from someone using some thing harsh I think, but luckily it’s pretty deep in the game.

#16 6 years ago

I allways use a small bucket with hand warm water and some dishwasher poeder.
    Works pefectly.
    Just take care of your hands and use gloves.

#17 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

What about crop dusting?

Wtf ? lol

#18 6 years ago

I bought this kit to play with, but haven’t used it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-39071-Scratch-Removal-System/dp/B003NS5NK8

It’s for auto clear coats - so it should work on a newer playfield, but I’m curious if it would work on plastics?

#19 6 years ago

I’ve been using this as my go to. I run the plastics through my ultrasonic. Rinse , spray with novis 1 , whipe with a microfiber towel and then flame the topside. Keep in mind I restore system 11 and up. Not sure how the earlier plastics would hold up in my ultrasound.

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from Skypilot:

I’ve been using this as my go to. I run the plastics through my ultrasonic. Rinse , spray with novis 1 , whipe with a microfiber towel and then flame the topside. Keep in mind I restore system 11 and up. Not sure how the earlier plastics would hold up in my ultrasound.

Flame the topside - good idea

#21 6 years ago

yeah flaming them makes them shine like new, just don't flame backside!

#22 6 years ago

How does one "flame" the topside?

#23 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

How does one "flame" the topside?

I have a smartass answer for this but it would probably get me booted for awhile.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from 0geist0:

I have a smartass answer for this but it would probably get me booted for awhile.

I purposely posed it that way, lol

But in all seriousness....what does it mean?

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-ramps-video-b_r

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

If your plastics are warped then i can show you a great safe way to straighten them. But if they just need to be cleaned then trust me and go with CP-100.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

If your plastics are warped then i can show you a great safe way to straighten them. But if they just need to be cleaned then trust me and go with CP-100.

No warping....just a little dirt and grime that needs to be removed.

#30 6 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

No warping....just a little dirt and grime that needs to be removed.

Go with cp-100 if you want an overall safe plastic cleaner and playfield cleaner. Ive been using it for years and it works.

#31 6 years ago

Plexus is great stuff, a fellow pinsider reccomended. Originally formulated for aviation plastics. I use on all tops of plastics. Excellent for clear plastic pieces and DMD shields. Cleans and protects.

2 months later
    #32 5 years ago

So you guys are successfully flame polishing the top side of printed plastics? I’ve only done clear ramps before but was researching doing plastics and came across this thread.

#33 5 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Pick up some CP100. Works great on all plastics and playfield cleaning. Its all i use.

CP100 is just 99% Naphtha and 1% Paint Stripper.

You get a whole gallon of Naphtha for only $14 ......just refill your Cp100 bottle and save!

60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46 (resized).jpg60cce9da51eef4dd8ead1ced0ecb5decb7414b46 (resized).jpg
    1 month later
    #34 5 years ago
    Quoted from ypurchn:

So you guys are successfully flame polishing the top side of printed plastics? I’ve only done clear ramps before but was researching doing plastics and came across this thread.

To answer my own question - Yes you can do printed plastics. Just do NOT do the side with the decal on it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-used-plastics and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.