Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by joe2012
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I've read the guides on how to clean a playfield, but this is different, this Jungle Lord was infested by mice at one time. There are droppings and bits of what looks like fiberglass insulation.

I would like to disinfect the playfield first but I'm thinking that spraying lysol on it will cause damage. What do you guys suggest I use on this poor playfield?

Google Album of photos
https://goo.gl/photos/AAueVGV4FGCR7hvv8

#2 7 years ago

It is not much damaged. I would vacuum it carefully and use light isopropyl alcohol.

I had a Bally Flash Gordon infested by mice one time. They lived there for ages and their urine and feces ruins completely the playfield. They were living on the upper playfield, having made a nest in it. I had no other recourse than to sand the playfield to the wood and glue an overlay. That was before the CPR replicas.

Yves

#3 7 years ago

I have a evel knievel I'm dealong with..I'm using simple green magic erasers and creame gojo.. next is Novus 2 ... seems to be working just fine so far.. no scratching or paint removal.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I was worried that whatever I used to clean would be too harsh on the playfield.

#5 7 years ago

I had this on my Harlem. 95% of the playfield was fine, but 5% if you rubbed it with a q-tip the paint would fall off. All I can say is, be careful with each spot before you do anything. On mine I could tell a hit by how the might hit it, but.

#6 7 years ago

I've had great results with Gel-Gloss, which I use on 1950s-era Bally games (ink on wood). You can search these forums and find multiple Gel-Gloss hits, but this is a good start:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-is-the-best-playfield-cleaner#post-3450968

See the final post in the thread.

One concern you read about in topics like this is the balance between dirt removal and abrasion of the surface being cleaned. Gel-Gloss has cleaning power with very little - if any - abrasion to the surface being cleaned. It works on the inks and lacquer equally well on my 1950s games. If you try it, start with a small, inconspicuous area to judge your results.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Tighe:

Thanks guys, that's helpful. I was worried that whatever I used to clean would be too harsh on the playfield.

Just be careful.. test in spots ... I deff had good luck with magic eraser .. simple green .creme gojo with no Grit. Simple green also helps rifle the stink...

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Just be careful.. test in spots ... I deff had good luck with magic eraser .. simple green .creme gojo with no Grit. Simple green also helps rifle the stink...

And then Novus 2 and millwax

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

And then Novus 2 and millwax

I wouldn't use millwax. Use actual carnauba wax.

And novus 2 only if your trying to remove ball trails. It's an abrasive compound, not a cleaner.

#10 7 years ago

Mask and gloves.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

1,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Langhorne, PA
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-after-mice-had-way-with-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.