Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Gorgar666
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

68C183BD-86AC-4542-8373-79293D801756 (resized).jpeg
    photo 5.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    12.JPG
    #1 9 years ago

this goes out anyone that's done a full restoration on a machine (eg. bryan kelly, jim mccune, chris hutchins, etc...)

what do you do to clean up the transformer? I've already used a paint/varnish stripper to remove all of the dried (thick layer of) vanish from the brackets and replaced that nasty hardware (screws, nuts, washers, etc...) with shiny new stuff, but as far as the transformer block itself goes, what have you guys done?

#3 9 years ago

the red is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure why you didn't bother to remove the screws and brackets before painting the block

#4 9 years ago

I didn't do the work myself, but my transformer got polished up and then hit with a thin layer of clear to keep it shiny...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-second-sortie-information-and-on-going-development#post-1662401

#6 9 years ago

Wire Wheel or Sand main body. Tumble brackets. Tape off wires and paint...

12.JPG12.JPG
    #7 9 years ago

I cleaned mine up nicely with just a small wire brush, rubbing alcohol and some Q-Tips.

#8 9 years ago

After cleaning the transformer I used black paint pens. Looks good.

#9 9 years ago

Might want to use some gun blue on it rather than paint.

#10 9 years ago

jadziedic:
    thanks for the link

ashburton:
    yes, it does look like they "blued" the metal block rather than painted it.

the paint/varnish remover completely stripped the varnish from the metal brackets. I need to brush some on the metal block and clean up all of the slopped on areas and then wire brush the block. I might try that brush-on gun bluing rather than painting the block after I get it all cleaned up.

#11 9 years ago

a huge thank you to bryan kelly and everyone else that replied. I finished cleaning it up, running a wire wheel on it and painting it. I ended up using a semi-gloss black lacquer with really light coats for a nice, even finish.

I still need to clean up the wires with a bit more of the varnish remover and some westley's (and probably should have done that first), but I'm really happy with how it came out

photo 2.JPGphoto 2.JPG

photo 3.JPGphoto 3.JPG

photo 5.JPGphoto 5.JPG

#12 9 years ago

looks nice! great job.

Brian

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

I finished cleaning it up, running a wire wheel on it and painting it. I ended up using a semi-gloss black lacquer with really light coats for a nice, even finish.

You won.
    That looks sexier than Sandy Duncan holding a box of wheat thins in a field of wheat.
    -mof

#14 9 years ago

Hey, nice job - well done !

4 years later
    #16 4 years ago

very nice, how did you clean up the nuts/bolts? just toss them in the tumbler? or did they get some wire wheel action as well? I am just about to clean up my es transformer

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from russdx:

very nice, how did you clean up the nuts/bolts? just toss them in the tumbler? or did they get some wire wheel action as well? I am just about to clean up my es transformer

I purchased new ones. the originals were all rusty and coated with varnish. it was much easier to just replace them, especially since we were just talking about 4 of each. the brackets were cleaned to remove the varnish and then tumbled

I'll dig out the part number for the bolts when I get home, I think I still have a couple left in the bag from where I ordered them from originally

terry @ pinball life sells the nylon insulators if you need to replace your nasty, crusty yellowed and dried, cracked ones
    https://www.pinballlife.com/ballywilliams-transformer-screw-insulator.html

#18 4 years ago

makes sense, oh mine did not have the nylon insulate but the bolt is inside like a cardboard tube.

Thanks

#19 4 years ago

Factory transformers (wpc) were not painted black, they were blued (just like the ramp flaps). That is the reason why the metal appears to be black, but when you see it under a white light it becomes blue-ish.
    There are two methods to blue an iron-containing metal: hot and cold.
    Hot is more permanent but you can’t do this to your transformer because hot blueing involves dipping the metal in liquid chemicals.
    Cold method is what I use to blue the outside of the transformer. You buy the blue chemical from gun stores mostly (it’s an acid) and follow instructions on the box. It’s very important to do the method right and apply a very thin layer of machine oil once a year or so. This keeps the metal from rusting because cold blue doesn’t protect as much as hot blue. You also keep your machine away from moisture (duh... common sense)

PS: good call on the wire brushing! I do this too on rusted metals I can’t glass-beat with excellent results!

#20 4 years ago

The easiest way I have found to remove the varnish/wax from the L brackets is to drop them in boiling water for a few minutes, bolts, nuts and washers too. Use an old pot though as it leaves residue in the pot. I have painted a few Bally transformers and they look nice in satin black, but then I heard painting is bad because it prevents heat dissipation. The older Bally transformers are not sealed on the top like the Bally/Wms so it's tough to get the crud from the top of the windings. An old timer pin restorer told me he steam cleans the guts in his EM games and they come out like new, so I might try it on a bad transformer first just to see if it works.

2 weeks later
    #21 4 years ago

Here’s mine.

68C183BD-86AC-4542-8373-79293D801756 (resized).jpeg68C183BD-86AC-4542-8373-79293D801756 (resized).jpeg
    #22 4 years ago
    Quoted from mof:

You won.
    That looks sexier than Sandy Duncan holding a box of wheat thins in a field of wheat.
    -mof

You are revealing your age...

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Scoot:

You are revealing your age...

Haaaaaa!

I still get nightmares from that thing.

mof

3 years later
    #24 1 year ago
    Quoted from j_m_:

a huge thank you to bryan kelly and everyone else that replied. I finished cleaning it up, running a wire wheel on it and painting it. I ended up using a semi-gloss black lacquer with really light coats for a nice, even finish.
    I still need to clean up the wires with a bit more of the varnish remover and some westley's (and probably should have done that first), but I'm really happy with how it came out
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Looks nice man. I’m gonna do the same…8 yearsss later….

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-a-transformer?hl=scoot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.