8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Skypilot
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    wpc_transformer_(resized).JPG

#1 8 years ago

Tried to take a look on here and online for instructions or guidance when it comes to restoraing / cleaning a transformer. Can anyone on here give me a step by step if they exist?

#2 8 years ago

good luck!
    paper and coated wire.
    I would use a dremel with a wire brush for the metal, and maybe a little soap and water around the contacts.
    turn it upside down, scrub with a toothbrush, and then hit it with compressed air to dry.
    my 3.5 cents worth.
    maybe somebody here knows a better way?
    dirt?, steve?, ...

#3 8 years ago

for my CftBL transformer, I removed the 4 long screws and the nylon spacers and then used a wire wheel to clean the "block". the varnish on the metal brackets was a bear to remove I used something like this:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Citristrip-40-oz-Safer-Paint-and-Varnish-Stripping-Gel-QCG73801TB/206376501

be careful though, it will take the color right off of the striped wire

I used 3M blue painters tape to mask off the transformer coil and wires and used semi-gloss black rustolium (a few very light coats) to make it look like new.

pics tonight if I remember

#4 8 years ago

The tape on mine is nicotine filled. I just don't want to ruin a good transformer. I just know once I am done if I don't do something it will look like an eye sore.

#6 8 years ago

here's a picture of how mine turned out. it really wasn't that hard to clean it up properly and make it look nice.

wpc_transformer_(resized).JPGwpc_transformer_(resized).JPG

#7 8 years ago

Tale of two taxis. # 218. Not much but a few tips

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-up-a-transformer-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.