You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9008 (resized).jpg
IMG_9007 (resized).jpg
IMG_9005 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

I'm in the process of cleaning and rebuilding my Big Time. I removed the plastic number columns and discovered a lot of burn damage from years of having hot bulbs behind the plastic. I was able to get the dust and grime off with warm water and a soft towel. I'm afraid to use anything more powerful because I've scrubbed off detail from similar plastic pinball parts. Wondering if anyone has a trick to clean the columns?

IMG_9005 (resized).jpgIMG_9005 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

On the reverse side, I'd try some Novus #3 after placing the strips face down on a soft cloth to protect the numbers from abrasion. If that doesn't help with the burn marks, I'd stop there and live with what you've got or watch eBay for replacement units. If Novus #3 helps, you could finish off with #2 and #1. I think the front side looks good, but maybe the photograph looks better than real life. My recollection is that the numbers are painted on the plastic strips, so I would tread lightly. If I had to use any product to clean the plastic on the front side, it would be Gel-Gloss, which has a lot of clean without much cut. I'd work around the numbers, so it would be a slow process. I'd put a little Gel-Gloss on a soft rag and work it with my finger rather than applying the Gel-Gloss directly to the plastic.

Gel-Gloss:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZOJPWK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#3 3 years ago

dawn dishwashing soap should be safe for the ink. If no good, Mean Green (not Simple Green) is a bit more aggressive and works well to get the nicotine off the cabinet, but don't let it soak a long time.

if the ink is burned vs. it's just crud cooked onto the surface, then you're kinda pooched and would wind up removing some ink and trying to spray a mist of paint back on. It's hard to match the color and translucency.

I'm pretty sure the pacific pinball museum has at least one big time parts game. I can check it this weekend if you wind up wanting replacements.

#4 3 years ago

The front of the columns are in pretty good shape. I'll give novus 3,2,1 a try on the burn marks. If the pinball museum columns are in better condition and cleaning doesn't work I'd be interested. I'm guessing though that all machines suffered from the same burning. The high voltage bulbs behind the columns give off a lot of heat.

I'll post photos of the "after" cleaning columns if the novus idea works.

Thanks!

#5 3 years ago

Novus did it! I used number 2 on the back and number 1 on the front with the numbers. They cleaned up as good as new. Before and after images attached. Thanks!!

IMG_9007 (resized).jpgIMG_9007 (resized).jpgIMG_9008 (resized).jpgIMG_9008 (resized).jpg
#6 3 years ago

Good Job.........great game to play.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-tips-for-bingo-number-columns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.