(Topic ID: 42746)

Cleaning stepper units

By whybenormal

11 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7550pic.jpg
    bingo_stepper.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I have just picked up an old Bally Mystic Gate bingo machine that has not worked in years and I have noticed that almost all the stepper units are gummed up so they won't turn freely. All the contacts look to be in good shape but they just won't turn. There are two electric fans in this unit also and they seem to be gummed up too. I don't know if somebody tried to lube them up at some point or if it is just years of dirt. What is the best way to clean these units?

bingo_stepper.jpgbingo_stepper.jpg

#2 11 years ago

I found this to be very helpful on repairing EM Machines: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#top

#3 11 years ago

Take'em apart...91% alcohol and Q-tips. Throw a dab of your favorite teflon lube on the metal to metal stuff and play away

#4 11 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I have always used the alcohol and Q-tip method for all that I have done. I guess I am just a little intimdated about getting in too deep on the stepper units.

Quoted from Guru-420:

I found this to be very helpful on repairing EM Machines: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#top

Thank you for the link! This should help me out a bunch!

#5 11 years ago

^^^

that site is invaluable... it's what convinced me i could take apart a machine and put it back together again...

you can do it... just be patient, don't force anything, and take more pictures than you ever think you will need...

#6 11 years ago

In addition to pinballrepair.com, try to locate some copies of 'This Old Pinball' DVDs. The 1st 2 cover em game repairs

#7 11 years ago

I will say make sure you use the teflon lube...you already see what happens to anything thing else. Eventually it just gums up.

Even teflon will attract dirt..thus I use it very sparingly. So far I haven't had to re-clean\lube a stepper I've gone through

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from dsuperbee:

In addition to pinballrepair.com, try to locate some copies of 'This Old Pinball' DVDs. The 1st 2 cover em game repairs

i'll second that... i've watched them a couple times... good to actually see stuff being done, plus they are rather amusing...

#9 11 years ago

superlube is the best grease for stepper unit! its Dielectric.

7550pic.jpg7550pic.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-stepper-units and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.