• Latest reply 10 years ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

goff-514.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Going to be touching up and clearing a Skateball playfield over the holiday break and I'm having a really a hard time fully removing some black Sharpie that was applied by the previous owner. Magic Eraser cleaned up most of it but there's still a little bit embedded in the cracks of the topcoat. Anybody have luck removing Sharpie from an older playfield like this?

#2 10 years ago

Simple.. Cover the black sharpie with a dry erase marker. then wipe clean.

Dry erase marker over permanent marker removes perm marker from smooth non pore filled surfaces. If its directly on the wood you wont remove it without sanding

#3 10 years ago

Try the alcohol first. Put some on a rag and wipe. Have you tried wipping with laquer thinner on a rag? Small amount of thinner might do the job. The problem is that laquer thinner is very strong and the clear coat can be affected by the thinner. Then remove the solvents with a cleaner that you prefer.

#4 10 years ago

naptha works great for taking it off too.

#5 10 years ago

or as said before with rubbing alcohol and magic eraser.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinchroma:

Simple.. Cover the black sharpie with a dry erase marker. then wipe clean.
Dry erase marker over permanent marker removes perm marker from smooth non pore filled surfaces. If its directly on the wood you wont remove it without sanding

Thanks for the tip, though I would be worried about the ink from the dry erase becoming similarly embedded in the cracks of the topcoat. Hoping to find a cleaner or solvent that could help remove the ink.

#7 10 years ago

// Error: Image 167237 not found //

goff-514.jpggoff-514.jpg
#8 10 years ago

Isopropyl alcohol and ME is what I used to get most of if off. I'll try some naptha when I get home tonight and see if it's any more effective.

#9 10 years ago

I've found acetone to be the best solution for indelible ink, but make sure it won't damage other paint on the playfield.

#10 10 years ago

watch out with Goof off. If that playfield is NOT clearcoated already, it will take off all the art. Goof off should be very carefully used. I don't even hold it in my shop because it's too dangerous for playfield damage.

#11 10 years ago

Isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol is a solvent for magic marker and usually safe for pinball.

I use 91% or better.

RM

#12 10 years ago

Aquanet hairspray. It works for more than propping up blue hair.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from mtdouble:

goff-514.jpg 6 KB

ABSOLUTELY NOT. Goof Off on a Skateball will remove art.

#14 10 years ago

I tried both naptha and acetone without any luck. All of the surface Sharpie has been removed, however there is still residual ink embedded in the cracks of the topcoat (a la ball swirl). I've ME'd to the point where it's starting to remove the artwork, so I think I'm going to just shoot my thin "lock in" coat of clear and repaint these areas entirely. Fortunately, none of the sharpie is anywhere near an insert so even if it runs I think I should be ok since most areas are going to be fully re-painted.

#15 10 years ago

Methyl hydrate is the least intrusive and works for sure.

#16 10 years ago

Unless its directly on bare wood. Then your screw'd

#17 10 years ago

If it's been on there long enough and nothing else is coming off, do what you suggested. Shoot a light coat on it and see what happens. Let it dry a few days, sand it and shoot some more. You are probably going to be ok.

#18 10 years ago

TOTALLY Off Topic....but do any of you have ideas about removing Sharpie from an 8x10 still photograph? I bought a signed photo, but it says "To Dave"....any way to remove that without damaging the glossy photo?

#19 10 years ago

what I would do, is shot a thin layer of krylon crystal clear on it, to trap the residue in. then you don't have to worry about it bleeding when you hit it with real clear.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

TOTALLY Off Topic....but do any of you have ideas about removing Sharpie from an 8x10 still photograph? I bought a signed photo, but it says "To Dave"....any way to remove that without damaging the glossy photo?

Aquanet. I used to detail cars through college and whatever is in aquanaut acts as a solvent for permanent markers. Naphtha is best for dissolving adhesives. Acetone works too, but is harsh enough to remove the paint beneath.

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Ted, I would try the dry erase marker first. Of course test in the corner or on another photo. I use this technique all the time at home on the walls, tables, desks, chairs......pretty much any sealed surface comes completely clean this way.

I have naughty children.

#22 10 years ago

Do NOT use Goof Off

I would use alcohol personally - dilute with distilled water a bit if you're using 99%. Naptha will work as well but I dislike working with it compared to alcohol, although it is a bit more user friendly.

#23 10 years ago

I wouldn't add water to it. you want as pure of alcohol as you can get. Water is what causes wood graining and cracking.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from Pafasa:

Ted, I would try the dry erase marker first.

Thanks guys! I'll try these.....

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-sharpie-from-a-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.