IMG_4436 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4446 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4413 (resized).jpeg
B9ACB8EF-E24D-4A0D-A7C3-B9717D02824D (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6215887_2367396 (resized).jpg
IMG_4396 (resized).JPG
IMG_4404 (resized).JPG
#1 12 months ago

Is there a best way to clean up the score reel plastics?

I'm working on trying to bring back a bard find Space Mission. Unfortunately the insert is FILTHY and the score reels are incredibly yellow and black in some spots like they have spent some time in a smoker. I'm going to print new adhesive numbers so I'm not worried about losing what is on there now, but I would love to get them looking even a little cleaner.

I ran them through several cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner with a degreasing agent, but they haven't made much improvement.
IMG_4396 (resized).JPGIMG_4396 (resized).JPG

IMG_4404 (resized).JPGIMG_4404 (resized).JPG

#2 12 months ago

I've had good success using Krud Kutter and a microfiber cloth. I've always attempted to save the numbering so I was aware of how hard I was pressing and whether or not the ink was starting to run. I suppose if you didn't care about keeping the original numbering you could clean thoroughly and then paint new. Might stand out in a bad way depending on the rest of the cab. Some yellowing I find is removable, such as nicotine staining. Others not so much.

Here is a good example of how too white doesn't look right. I printed off one dummy reel in pure white and the other in a cream color. The cream matched the original reels near perfectly. In fact many paint schemes (cabinet/playfield/apron/exc.) were not perfectly white but more of a silver/cream color hue.

Pinside_forum_6215887_2367396 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_6215887_2367396 (resized).jpg
#3 12 months ago
Quoted from Blake:

I've had good success using Krud Kutter and a microfiber cloth. I've always attempted to save the numbering so I was aware of how hard I was pressing and whether or not the ink was starting to run. I suppose if you didn't care about keeping the original numbering you could clean thoroughly and then paint new. Might stand out in a bad way depending on the rest of the cab. Some yellowing I find is removable, such as nicotine staining. Others not so much.
Here is a good example of how too white doesn't look right. I printed off one dummy reel in pure white and the other in a cream color. The cream matched the original reels near perfectly. In fact many paint schemes (cabinet/playfield/apron/exc.) were not perfectly white but more of a silver/cream color hue.
[quoted image]

I'll be printing up a dummy reel sticker as well since those are rusty, so I shouldn't have any matching problems.

I tried using some mean green as well as formula 88 without much luck.

If I can't find a way to clean these, I wonder if I light coat of 2X white would work.

#4 12 months ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Is there a best way to clean up the score reel plastics?
I'm working on trying to bring back a bard find Space Mission. Unfortunately the insert is FILTHY and the score reels are incredibly yellow and black in some spots like they have spent some time in a smoker. I'm going to print new adhesive numbers so I'm not worried about losing what is on there now, but I would love to get them looking even a little cleaner.
I ran them through several cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner with a degreasing agent, but they haven't made much improvement.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

An ultrasonic cleaner and a little Simple Green work well. I've had this guy for about a year and a half and love it:

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

#5 12 months ago

See if a magic eraser does anything. Maybe it needs the 'retrobrite' treatment?

#6 12 months ago
Quoted from dr_nybble:

See if a magic eraser does anything. Maybe it needs the 'retrobrite' treatment?

I second this. Might need to soak in peroxide and leave in the sun for a while.

#7 12 months ago
Quoted from WalrusPin:

An ultrasonic cleaner and a little Simple Green work well. I've had this guy for about a year and a half and love it:
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-63256.html

I’ve run it through multiple cycles in my ultrasonic cleaner without much improvement.

Quoted from SpyroFTW:

I second this. Might need to soak in peroxide and leave in the sun for a while.

I’ve thought about that if it weren’t for some incredibly dark areas. It might work in the yellowing, but I doubt it would work on the dark stuff.

Here is another shot after
-2 30min cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner with an overnight soak in-between
- mean green
- purple power
- soak in Oxyclean
- soak in bleach water
- magic eraser

B9ACB8EF-E24D-4A0D-A7C3-B9717D02824D (resized).jpegB9ACB8EF-E24D-4A0D-A7C3-B9717D02824D (resized).jpeg
#8 12 months ago

what are you using for cleaner in your Ultrasonic?

#9 12 months ago

I've used Master Stages Clean2020 in the past but ran out when I was cleaning parts for the cabinet board. This time I used formula 88 diluted in water.

#10 12 months ago

I use Men Green in my sonic cleaner. I would let them soak a bit too.

#11 12 months ago

After that long in an ultrasonic cleaner, you're probably as good as you're going to get. Peroxide and sun will usually lighten them up but will probably be blotchy.
If you are making all new labels anyway, there's no need to go any further. The white labels will cover all of the reel that is visible.

1 week later
#12 11 months ago

I ended up giving these a light coat of 2X satin white and adding labels.

IMG_4413 (resized).jpegIMG_4413 (resized).jpegIMG_4436 (resized).jpegIMG_4436 (resized).jpegIMG_4446 (resized).jpegIMG_4446 (resized).jpegIMG_4450 (resized).jpegIMG_4450 (resized).jpeg
#13 11 months ago

Looks Great!

#14 11 months ago

Nothing wrong with that result. You will probably find that the notches will end up having some paint delamination because of the wear as it steps. My guess is it won't be noticeable from the score windows. Huge improvement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oceanside, NY
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-score-reels and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.