Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

_39 (resized).jpg
_35 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

I'm working on bringing back a Party Zone that has a lot of rust issues. Not many metal parts that are not affected. I have only worked on EM's up to this point, this is my first SS machine, so bear with me.

When I removed the power supply box, the bottom half had quite a bit of rust. This will be soaked in Evaporust and re-painted, but is there anything that I need to do to the rust that is on the cabinet? How do I get this off? Do I need to do anything to the paint to neutralize it?

For the power supply portion, can this be tested for correct operation before I re-mount it in the cabinet?

Thanks in advance

_35 (resized).jpg_35 (resized).jpg_39 (resized).jpg_39 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

I’m pretty sure that’s missing the thermistor that goes between the fuse tab and the black hot wire

#3 3 years ago

Use a self etching primer on the metal pieces once the rust is removed before paint. Things like the leg bolt brackets that are really bad, if you can afford it replace them entirely.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Mank:

I’m pretty sure that’s missing the thermistor that goes between the fuse tab and the black hot wire

Mank - I will check for the thermistor, thanks.

Quoted from Langless28:

Use a self etching primer on the metal pieces once the rust is removed before paint. Things like the leg bolt brackets that are really bad, if you can afford it replace them entirely.

Langless28 - Thanks for the tip on the primer, I had never heard of that. I did order new leg bolt brackets, at a couple bucks each for new ones, It's worth it. The legs I will try to salvage.

For the rust on the cabinet, it's just over wood, would brushing it off be enough?

#5 3 years ago

Best thing for rust while preserving paint is wood bleach (olioxic acid) (sp?)

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Peruman:

mank - I will check for the thermistor, thanks.

langless28 - Thanks for the tip on the primer, I had never heard of that. I did order new leg bolt brackets, at a couple bucks each for new ones, It's worth it. The legs I will try to salvage.
For the rust on the cabinet, it's just over wood, would brushing it off be enough?

I mean sanding the wood and a new coat of interior paint is in order. Especially since you don’t have a bottom yet .

#7 3 years ago

Evapo-Rust for the metal, clean wood and spray paint it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Columbus, IN
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Glen Rock, PA
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Walbridge, OH
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-rust-off-a-party-zone and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.