(Topic ID: 202719)

Cleaning rubber residue from flipper bats?

By jibmums

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by BoJo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flipper (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

What's the best solvent for removing rubber residue from flipper bats without softening or damaging the plastic? Alcohol and naphtha have removed some of the surface residue, but what's left has been ground-in from thousands of ball hits and won't budge. Will anything dissolve this without harming the bat?

flipper (resized).jpgflipper (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I've never had luck in cleaning them off to a point I was a happy, so I just replace them. It's a cheap part that makes a game look significantly better.

#3 6 years ago

Could try Goo Gone(NOT GOOF OFF) w/a Magic Eraser.

#4 6 years ago

Great question. Same problem here with BSD lightening flippers. Not sure if it applies to the standards but I know the lightening repros have a tendency to be brittle and of sub par construction compared to the originals. I'll be watching.

#5 6 years ago

Just cleaned some white Gottlieb flippers with Goof Off, the stuff that strips paint and melts plastics. Came out great. Had the flipper bats out of the machine, and used small pieces of cloth dampened with the solvent. Got all the black gunk out of the ridges on the top of the flipper, and took off the rubber residue from the sides. EDIT: Test it on an inconspicuous spot. Would not try Goof Off on any flippers with painted accents or decals & would hesitate to use it on translucent flippers.

All the while I'm thinking that I should just buy new flippers, since cleaning them is tedious and time consuming.

Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for the flippers?

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Biffbar:

Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner for the flippers?

Yes. The problem is the black material basically embeds itself into the plastic. It's not just surface grime. Ultrasonic cleaners do well against surface grime, but won't do much against the black marks on the flippers.

5 months later
    #7 6 years ago

Why attempt to remove the resudue? Its not seen and you will just see more the next time you change the rubbers.

#8 6 years ago

If you haven't found a solution in 5 months try naphtha.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-rubber-residue-from-flipper-bats?hl=biffbar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.