(Topic ID: 19801)

Cleaning rubber

By NickBuffaloPinball

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cc.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

What's the best way to clean the rubber in pins in between completely replacing them? Just a wipe down with a cloth?

#2 11 years ago

hmmm I would assume alcohol would dry them out and make them break down faster, I would try some Novus 2 and see how that works

#3 11 years ago

I just use a microfiber towel and some novus #2. I also turn them about every month if my pin is being played alot, if not I'll do it about every 90 days.

#4 11 years ago

I use rubber cleaner for tape decks (smells like 409 cleaner) on black rubber.

When white rubber is dirty enough to bother me, I simply replace it.

#5 11 years ago

I could be totally wrong here, but, I use a diluted simple green to clean the dirt off of rubbers. Works really well. Not sure if it does any bad to the rubbers but so far so good...

#6 11 years ago

Just wipe rubber down with lighter fluid, novus 2, goof off, or naphta... wipes right off.

I usually use goof off just because its one wipe easy but be careful it doesn't get on any plastic.

#7 11 years ago

Naphta

Use it once and you will thank me later. It's sold at most hardware stores around the paint thinner/solvents. It's amazing on rubber and metal.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from cireone:

I could be totally wrong here, but, I use a diluted simple green to clean the dirt off of rubbers. Works really well. Not sure if it does any bad to the rubbers but so far so good...

That works too.. but simple green tends to leave residue unless you rinse it off with a wet rag. Westley's Bleache-wite works killer also, and the newer blend while less powerful is more kind on odor for indoor use...

#9 11 years ago

Lighter Fluid and then Windex. The lighter fuild takes it off with out rubbing at all.

Hobbs

#10 11 years ago

Simple green on a cloth.

#11 11 years ago

I use Naptha also and nothing else. Works well when cleaning target faces also.

#13 11 years ago

I've been using alcohol, but I haven't had to do it much since my STTNG was just completely shopped out from A to Z and even the subway is cleaner than an Intel production facilitiy.

#14 11 years ago

CP100 is the only product that cleans and restores rubbers.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I've been using alcohol, but I haven't had to do it much since my STTNG was just completely shopped out from A to Z and even the subway is cleaner than an Intel production facilitiy.

Not very fun, is it? Just did that myself.

#17 11 years ago

Novus 2 if I don't take rubber off. For slings and easily removable ones I take to sink and clean with Fast Orange hand cleaner or any other hand cleaner used to clean up after working on car.

#18 11 years ago

Easiest way to clean and keeping them clean is to use eucalyptus oil.
    I have been doing this for over 10 years, and still love it
    a little on a rag and wipe away.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Not very fun, is it? Just did that myself.

I actually liked taking apart the subway system and poppers. It was finding all the stuff that was missing after I reassambled everything that wasn't fun. Took apart the right side twice after to replace two missing star posts and correctly set the rubbers back up..... found out last night I had not secured the top of the delta ramp to the borg ship so it was making the shot difficult at best and not letting balls go into the borg ship at worst. That was an easy fix though...just lifted it up and tightened the screws.

TILTed post. Sign in to be able to view TILTed posts.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-rubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.