(Topic ID: 187784)

Cleaning Recommendations for 1980's pin (Galaxy)

By Ziggy

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Ziggy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Galaxy Stern Electronics, 1980
#1 6 years ago

Hi -

I am about to dismantle a recently acquired pin (Stern Galaxy) for a cleaning/switch repair/rubber replacement. This is my first pin from this era and I have read that using some of the modern cleaners might not be a good idea (e.g. Novus 1/2). Can someone here that has done restoration work on this vintage of pin give me some nudges in the correct direction?

Thanks for some sage advice - Ziggy

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Ziggy:

Hi -
I am about to dismantle a recently acquired pin (Stern Galaxy) for a cleaning/switch repair/rubber replacement. This is my first pin from this era and I have read that using some of the modern cleaners might not be a good idea (e.g. Novus 1/2). Can someone here that has done restoration work on this vintage of pin give me some nudges in the correct direction?
Thanks for some sage advice - Ziggy

Also interested. I have a Stern Seawitch & am about to start cleaning up the playfield too.

#3 6 years ago

Well apparently hi percentage alcohol on a Magic Eraser takes off some, if not all, original clear. So unless you're planning on clearing, maybe shouldn't be that aggressive.

There is a good thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

where a lot of options are covered. I use Mother's Mag polish on vintage fields. NOVUS just doesn't cut it in my experience.

#4 6 years ago

Try not to use anything abrasive unless your intent is to remove ball swirls, touch up and clear the playfield. These games got played to death and there's little, if any clearcoat protecting the playfield. A mild cleaner and a good wax are all you need for normal cleaning and play.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks folks...

I am following the advice from thread that cody_chunn referenced.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Middletown, OH
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 169.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jeffersonville, IN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-recommendations-for-1980s-pin-galaxy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.