Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by eh97ac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Trying to figure out a better way to clean the post and other plastic parts (obviously not "the plastics") when shopping out a pin. Anyone ever try tumbling them and if so what media do you use? Up till this point I have always wiped/scrubbed every single piece with a ME and alcohol. Fingers get pretty tired and it's just a tedious process. I thought of this last night while I was putting some of the metal pieces in my tumbler. Please share any other cleaning strategies that may be out there.....

#2 7 years ago

I thow em in the dishwasher and then use a tooth brush for more stubborn dirt.

Sometimes the ultrasonic too

--Jeff

#3 7 years ago

For plastic posts, toothbrush and simple green, then rinse with water.
    and, yes,

Quoted from Sonora70:Fingers get pretty tired and it's just a tedious process.

Have not found a better way yet, except maybe a ultra sonic wash???

#4 7 years ago

ultrasonic works great for plastic posts. Metal posts go in the tumbler with walnut media and novus 3 (whichever the heavy one is)

#5 7 years ago

I use an ultrasonic cleaner as well.

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

ultrasonic works great for plastic posts.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

I use an ultrasonic cleaner as well.

Yep.

#7 7 years ago

How long do you guys leave the posts in the ultra sonic cleaner?

#8 7 years ago

Couple of 5 minute cycles on hot for me

-Jeff

#9 7 years ago

Ultrasonic cleaner....I've not seen one. I just googled and I'm finding them in the $30 range. Used for jewelry...is this what I'm looking for? What is the best size?

#11 7 years ago

I use a baby bottle top basket that goes in the dishwasher...the posts and lane guides and such fit in it fine, and then after the dishwasher a toothbrush and some soapy water gets the stubborn stuff. Set them upright on a towel to dry thoroughly and they are good to go.

Phoebe

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sonora70:

Ultrasonic cleaner....I've not seen one. I just googled and I'm finding them in the $30 range. Used for jewelry...is this what I'm looking for? What is the best size?

I use a 2.5L cleaner. Sometimes it's a bit small, but it can fit most things.

There are some that go up to 3.4 gallons, which would be good for large parts and wiring harnesses.

#13 7 years ago

I've had great luck with this unit: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html

Make sure to use a 25% coupon to get it for 60

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from Cheddar:

I've had great luck with this unit: http://www.harborfreight.com/25-liter-ultrasonic-cleaner-95563.html
    Make sure to use a 25% coupon to get it for 60

Thanks, I predict I will own one of these before the weekend is over.....

#15 7 years ago

Since we are on the topic of ultrasonic cleaners, any other uses other than cleaning plastic posts and small harnesses?

#16 7 years ago

I usually just throw them out if they're easy to find. New ones always look better

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Since we are on the topic of ultrasonic cleaners, any other uses other than cleaning plastic posts and small harnesses?

Basically any parts.

For cleaning metal parts, I usually do an initial rinse, then put the parts in the ultrasonic cleaner, then derust in evaporust, then polish by hand or in a tumbler, then wax or seal.

#18 7 years ago

I had some nasty plastics that weren't
    responding well to the normal methods.
    Grunge off or other acrylic bong cleaner did the
    Trick!

#19 7 years ago

Update:
    I made the trip to HF and purchased the ultrasonic cleaner. I got the 2.5 liter version for $64 using a 20% off coupon (regular price $79.99). The first time I used it I was not impressed. I ran the same post through several cycles and still did not receive the results I wanted. After reading some other post about these cleaners I decided to increase the amount of Simple Green as I was only putting in a small amount. My new mixture is roughly 60/40 water to Simple Green. The results are fantastic! The additional cleaner made a HUGE difference. I can't believe I am just now picking up one of these cleaners. Well worth the $64. In fact, it saved me $25 just on this one pin as I was going to replace some of the parts until I saw how clean they could be, not to mention the ease and amount of time saved.

#20 7 years ago

Dial back the Simple Green and jack up the water temp. You should get the same results

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-post-and-other-plastic-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.