Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Brokedad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

playfield9.jpg
    playfield1.jpg
    #1 13 years ago

I have Novus 2 to wax it, but before I use that what can I use to get the dirt and grim off. I know there is certin stuff you shouldnt use, like cleaners with certin chemicals in it. I just dont want to use the wrong stuff. Thanx for the info

#2 13 years ago

I use the 'millwax' made for pinball machines
    although it takes a few cleanings maybe 3-4 times

#3 13 years ago

Just use a general cleaner. I like using a cloth with simply orange .. it's not alcohol based and gets the dirt/grime off things before waxing. Plus my fingers smell good afterwards

There are a bunch of citrus oil based cleaners out there. Try one and see what you think. I don't like alcohol or chemical based cleaners as they tend to dry out the plastics and especially the rubbers if you get them on there.

#4 13 years ago

cool thanx for the info, I know I have to stop myself from licking my fingers after I use that stuff... Hmmmmmmm orange flavored fingers (in a homer simpson voice)

#5 13 years ago

Aren't you supposed to wax the playfield with a carnuba wax?

#6 13 years ago

Use Novus2 to clean the playfield if it is really dirty. Followed with Novus1 to get the 2 off. Novus1 for regular cleaning. 100% Carnuba Paste wax (Mothers, Macguires, Turtle) for waxing. Do not use a cleaner/wax.

#7 13 years ago

i use a magic eraser first, then i apply novus2 (2 times), a heavy coat of novus1. then wax everything (ramps, guides, wire forms, subways) anywhere the ball touches.. using regular turtle wax (2 coats). ...wax the pinballs... good to go.

it may be overkill ...but it's better than the pinballs/dirt eating away at the playfield.

#8 13 years ago

Handy tip - buy a beaten playfield if you ever get the chance - great to experiment on.

Also, I use the Novus 3/2 for plastics - works nice. Not so swell on the PF. I like using the Millwax made for playfields and lots of various terry cloths/old t-shirts. Lots of elbow grease really works out the dirt that otherwise seems permanent.

Before: (notice mylar, center clouds at top of playfield, generally dirty)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/super8man/4651809286/sizes/l/

After: (most of the dirt gone, much nicer, brighter)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/super8man/4653533453/sizes/l/

Novus 2 really cleaned up the circle targets and the yellow of the pop bumpers.

playfield1.jpgplayfield1.jpg playfield9.jpgplayfield9.jpg

#9 13 years ago

going with raijin on this one - magic eraser(if needed) then novus 2, I dont use much novus 1 - but then 10 coats of wax and just keep on buffing. I also use meguiars plastx
    for my plastics.

#10 13 years ago

the magic eraser is good -but easy to go too far if not careful

#11 13 years ago

one would have to have a heavy hand to do damage.

...but i wouldn't doubt it.

magic eraser </= 1500 grit sandpaper.

but the thing is magic...!!!

#12 13 years ago

Now, at what point is your playfield too worn to clean like this? Can age and wear reach a point where you'll just be chipping paint off the playfield if you try to give it a good cleaning?

#13 13 years ago

If the paint is cracked or worn down to the white.

#14 13 years ago

My suggestion was just for cleaning before waxing like initially asked. I just don't see the need to use the expensive Novus products. A good non-alcohol based oil cleaner and a good store bought car wax works great for me. I also like using the spray car touch up products in between cleanings and waxes. Ok .. label me a Novus traitor.

#16 13 years ago

You probably buy no-name brand gasoline too,eh?? I thought pinball was a hobby for the rich?

#17 13 years ago

brokedad is simple orange and simple green the samething?

#18 13 years ago

Simple Orange and Simple Green are quite different. Both are excellent though. I use Simple Green, personally. Simple Orange is citrus based, Simple Green is not.

#19 13 years ago

I use Simple Beer. The foaming action does wonders for my ability to think the job I'm doing is just fine.

#20 13 years ago

Jar155 do you dilute Simple Green at all with water? And ever use Novus on the cabinet?

#21 13 years ago

Novus has fantastic products. Thanks for all the kind jabs etc. The most important thing is that you in any way clean and wax and take care of your machines. Just don't let them deteriorate so future generations get less than the best out of them.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-playfields and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.