Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

WAX.jpg
    NOVUS-2.jpg
    NOVUS-3.jpg
    SCRATCHES.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

I'm looking into getting a cleaner for my dirty playfield (FT). I have seen this one offered as cleaner on pinballcenter store and was wondering if anyone has experience with it? Link : http://www.xerapol.de/english/index.htm

I'm asking about this specific one as it is the only one I can buy locally in the store (I would like to avoid ordering from abroad).

Will this cleaner be safe to use to clean my playfield?

Thanks so much for your help as always.

#2 10 years ago

Are you trying to buff out scratches, or clean your playfield?

#3 10 years ago

I would just like to clean my playfield primarily (and then also clean the plastics if possible).

#4 10 years ago

Everyone seems to recommend novus but that is not available where I live
    Looks like Novus is also plastic polisher? This Xerapol might be similar then?

#5 10 years ago

I just recently cleaned mine. I couldn't locate novus. I decided to use a product called ZEP heavy duty citrus cleaner. It is sold at Home Depot. It seems to clean my play field perfectly! I think it takes off the old wax though, so waxing afterward is a good idea. I have also heard simple green cleans pretty good and does not take off the wax.

#6 10 years ago

You don't want anything that contains water, or you run the risk of planking your playfield.

If you want to strip off all the wax and clean, then just plain Naphtha works great.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for the feedback guys! Do you think it would be safe to use this Xerapol for playfield (instead of Novus 2)?

#8 10 years ago

Novus 2 is an abrasive polish, not a cleaner.

#9 10 years ago

isn't Novus 1 water based?

#10 10 years ago

Sorry for confusion, I always read that Novus is the thing to get if I want to clean the pinball playfield and now was looking for the alternative that is available in my country. Is that the way to go? Is it OK that its a "plastics polish" product, does that work well with playfield material and art on it?

#11 10 years ago

Why take the risk with an untested product?

Just get a can of Naphtha, available anywhere in the world, and clean your playfield.

Then, get the hardest paste wax (it should NOT say "cleaner wax" on the can), and wax your playfield.

If it is available in your country, I recommend Blitz brand wax. Don't get the "easy to wipe off" brands, because those are mostly silicone (junk).

#12 10 years ago

This is what Novus says about using it on painted surfaces :

SCRATCHES.jpgSCRATCHES.jpg

#13 10 years ago

Then:

NOVUS-3.jpgNOVUS-3.jpg

#14 10 years ago

Then

NOVUS-2.jpgNOVUS-2.jpg

#15 10 years ago

Finally

WAX.jpgWAX.jpg

#16 10 years ago

So you can see that Novus takes away a lot of material with each use.

You don't want to use it unless you need to use it.

If you use it too much, you will wear through your paint.

#17 10 years ago

Thank

Quoted from vid1900:Why take the risk with an untested product?
    Just get a can of Naphtha, available anywhere in the world, and clean your playfield.
    Then, get the hardest paste wax (it should NOT say "cleaner wax" on the can), and wax your playfield.
    If it is available in your country, I recommend Blitz brand wax. Don't get the "easy to wipe off" brands, because those are mostly silicone (junk).

Thanks so much for your feedback. I'm from Serbia btw - the hobby is literally non existent here.

I'm not sure what Naphtha is? I think my folks have that at home for cleaning stains from clothes. Is that the thing? It smells almost exactly like Premium Fuel for gasoline powered cars right?

#18 10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha

Sometimes it is labeled at the paint store as "VM&P Naphtha", a very common solvent.

VM & P supposedly means "Varnish Makers and Painters", or at least that's what I've been told by some old auto painting guys.

=

Were any pinball machines ever made in Serbia?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-playfield-with-xerapol and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.