3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I’m working on bringing back a Super Spin and have run into an issue cleaning the hex head screws that fasten the posts to the playfield.

They have this white residue on them. Comes off like a powder on your fingers. The posts are all dulled by this residue.

I tried using Evaporust with no luck. Any ideas on what this white residue could be and how I can beat clean the posts?

I unfortunately do not own a tumbler.

Thanks

Alberto

#2 3 years ago

May be some sort of oxidation on the zinc coated screws. Try simple green and a tooth brush. A polish like flitz would be the next step if simple green alone doesn’t help.

#3 3 years ago

Yup, chalky white rust. Comes off with metal polish and a rag. Buff the head of the screw back and forth on a rag with a drop of polish. (cheap stuff from Warlmart works fine on screw heads and habitrails - "turtle wax chrome polish and rust remover")

#4 3 years ago

Just replace them. Likely the plating is gone and all that polishing will do it turn them black.

#5 3 years ago

For the plastic post buy Duragloss 462 Ultimate Orange Concentrated Cleaner mix it with hot water and let sit for few hours. Will clean the plastic post to like new.

For the screws .... replacing is the easiest and quickest but if you want to use the originals I put them into a drill and then use super fine steel wool and Mothers Chrome polish.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-playfield-posts-with-white-residue-on-them and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.