You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7AFE7A07-B04B-4EA9-B67E-F5D5E301C533 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Getting ready to start cleaning a Dealers Choice playfield that looks like it has not been touched in years. Stripped most of the parts off the playfield that will be cleaned in the ultra sound. Now for the playfield it self. What are the recommendations for products to use? What have others done to clean their playfields.
Thanks
Kickout

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Lots of information on this site with recommendations. Personally, I start with magic eraser and denatured alcohol. Scrub small area and immediately wipe off with paper towel. When I have done the whole playfield I polish with Novus #2. Finally a coat of pure carnauba wax.

#3 2 years ago

When using the Magic Eraser, use light pressure or just drag it along on the playfield. You are not trying to remove rust off of a chrome pinball leg.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

When using the Magic Eraser, use light pressure

In my experience I use quite a bit of pressure and change of motion....circular and back and forth....whatever it takes to remove the dirt and ball swirl marks. I dip the magic eraser in a dish of alcohol and scrub an area for about 10 seconds until it cleans up, then wipe off the mess before the alcohol dries. When it dries it will have a white powdery look, but will shine up nicely with the Novus #2. Quite effective and I've never found it harmful to the playfields I have done.

#5 2 years ago

Alcohol may dissolve whatever lacquer coating is still there. Test under the apron.

Depends on what your plans are. If you are going to clear coat it, go nuts with the magic eraser. Otherwise be cautious.

#6 2 years ago

I try to use the least aggressive method necessary to get it clean. My method would be to start with naphtha and see what it removes. If not enough, move on to Novus 2. That was all it took for my Travel Time. Big hit needed more, so I went at it fairly aggressively with magic eraser. After ME, I go back to Novus 2 to shine it up. Last step is always carnauba wax.

#7 2 years ago

I would start with a little clean green sprayed on a clean rag to take a the loose dirt off. Don’t spray on play field. Then Naptha and magic eraser taking your time while monitoring how much color is coming off the field. Then finishing with Mother’s past wax, 5 coats.

7AFE7A07-B04B-4EA9-B67E-F5D5E301C533 (resized).jpeg7AFE7A07-B04B-4EA9-B67E-F5D5E301C533 (resized).jpeg
#8 2 years ago

What I have gleaned from Vid's guides, and it works for me:

1) vacuum the dust and dirt off. You'd be surprised.

2) naphtha with a soft cloth until clean. Stop if you get color on the rag.

3) wax.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-playfield-4?hl=judoratt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.