(Topic ID: 283708)

cleaning plastic pieces

By pyrotech

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

a030e4fb-e7cb-4aab-8670-ff8e7f72b319_1.a515d7e3e46d1e1102989db47bc618e1 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

What products are the best to clean the plastic playfield pieces? Thanks

#2 3 years ago

Novus 1

#3 3 years ago

Guess it depends on how dirty they are. I am working on a C37 and just cleaned the score reels(plastic)and credit wheel(metallic). I used Awesome Cleaner and it did a great job. Dollar tree has it. It really is becoming my goto as a general cleaner that has some teeth to it but not too many teeth!!

#4 3 years ago

I use Krud Kutter for the initial clean and then shine them up with Novus 1.

#5 3 years ago

I like Novus 1 also, but lately have been digging Wizards Mist-N-Shine.

And to piggyback on this question, I assume once they're brown/sepia-toned, there's nothing that can be done about that? I saw videos with people taking blowtorches to clear ramp plastic and cleaning those up, but they don't have artwork on them.

#6 3 years ago

For light cleaning: novus 1

For a game that hasn't been cleaned in 15 years with a thick layer of grime? I generally use simple green.

#7 3 years ago

I just wash them in the kitchen sink with regular dish soap and warm water.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from JethroP:

I just wash them in the kitchen sink with regular dish soap and warm water.

Boy would I get bitched at for that! I Novus II the top side then Novus I both sides.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

Novus II the top side

Just keep in mind that novus 2 is an abrasive and shouldn't be used for regular/repeated cleanings.

#10 3 years ago

Novus 2 for deep cleaning.

Please stop spreading the fear of using a plastics cleaner on plastics FFS

#11 3 years ago

Alcohol wipes

#12 3 years ago

Just don't use Novus2 on the ink side!!!!!!!

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Novus 2 for deep cleaning.
    Please stop spreading the fear of using a plastics cleaner on plastics FFS

It's not just a cleaner. Like I said, it's also abrasive. Meaning, it will wear down the material. It should be used sparingly and only when necessary, and not part of a regular weekly/monthly cleaning ritual.

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

It's not just a cleaner. Like I said, it's also abrasive. Meaning, it will wear down the material. It should be used sparingly and only when necessary, and not part of a regular weekly/monthly cleaning ritual.

To clarify, I buy dirty neglected project games. I clean the top side of the plastics (non printed side) with Novus II. It's great at removing dirt and shines that side up nicely. Then I clean both sides with Novus I. After that they never need cleaned again except when doing an annual cleaning and that is with Novus I.

#15 3 years ago

Iv'e never had a problem using novus 1 on the bottom and novus 2 on the top. When i wipe down my machines i use novus 1 to clean all the plastics. It has always worked for me.

#16 3 years ago

I agree for dirty plastic covers Novus 2 on non art side and Novus 1 on bottom for dirty game. For plastic ramps I have used Novus 3 to get some really imbeded crud off, then go 2, and 1.

Just regular cleaning Novus 1 all the way.

#17 3 years ago

Try this stuff for general cleaning. You'll thank me later.

This is how I buy it and refill a spray bottle. I use it in my ultrasonic also.

You'll want to wear gloves.

a030e4fb-e7cb-4aab-8670-ff8e7f72b319_1.a515d7e3e46d1e1102989db47bc618e1 (resized).jpga030e4fb-e7cb-4aab-8670-ff8e7f72b319_1.a515d7e3e46d1e1102989db47bc618e1 (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-plastic-pieces and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.