• Latest reply 9 years ago by arpman
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2864.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I’m working on my score displays on my Flight 2000. The first board I pulled out is REALLY cruddy. I cleaned it with a toothbrush and naphtha but that didn’t do much. Is there a way to clean the board without damaging the components?

I removed the inspection stickers and connector header and it was white below.

Thanks

Bob

IMG_2864.JPGIMG_2864.JPG
#2 9 years ago

Try simple green. That usually cuts through grime pretty well. Walmart carries it, usually somewhere around the automotive section.

#3 9 years ago

I use Mean Green (usually found in Dollar Stores) and an old toothbrush. Let the Mean Green set a minute, give it a light scrub and then rinse and blow dry with compressed air. Or drip dry if you don't have a compressor.

#4 9 years ago

Put it in your wife's dishwasher. And yes I am completely serious.

#5 9 years ago

super clean will take that right off. just rinse it real well and make sure you let it completely dry before applying power.

#6 9 years ago

I have used alcohol and q tips w/good results. Make sure it dries and don't get any on the display itself.

#7 9 years ago

I thought about 409 - Simple Green - etc. but was concerned about rinsing it off with water. That won't hurt the glass display?

Thanks

Bob

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

Put it in your wife's dishwasher. And yes I am completely serious.

Someone else told me this as well. I wonder if it works?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Someone else told me this as well. I wonder if it works?

I've washed lots of boards with no harm. I always use no detergent, and no electric heat cycle.

#10 9 years ago

Mean Green or Super Clean. Use a toothbrush if necessary. Rinse with water. Follow up with an alcohol rinse. I usually place them on a towel with a fan blowing on them for ~30 min.

#11 9 years ago

I'm sure you guys are right - but I just can't force myself to put my PC board into the dishwasher.

I think I'll try Simple Green.

Bob

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

I thought about 409 - Simple Green - etc. but was concerned about rinsing it off with water. That won't hurt the glass display?
Thanks
Bob

It only hurts if you try to turn it on while it is wet or if there is residue left behind that would cause a short. Otherwise, water won't harm it.

#13 9 years ago

I use ultrasonic cleaner for dirty boards

#14 9 years ago

I agree with the dishwasher. I owned a business that has repaired thousands of PC boards from electric lift trucks over the years and the dishwasher was my best tool. I used to use a "vapor degreaser" machine that utilized Freon as a cleaning media, but since has been outlawed.

Dishwasher works well, but I would remove the IC's first, clean under them, then install a socket. Many times, corrosion forms under the IC and you'll only trap it if it's not cleaned properly. Plus, it gives you a chance to inspect copper traces that may have been acid damaged and hidden under the chip.

Also a real good tool is one of those electric "Dental Water Pic" machines that induces a high pressure water jet that can safely remove dirt and corrosion, and clean out connector terminals easily.

Set your oven to warm, to hasten evaporation of collected water. It only takes a few minutes to dry. Or use a heat gun on low.

#15 9 years ago

I have not tried dishwasher but have been warned to NOT use the drying cycle.

I use the ultrasonicator for any boards with only sealed parts. After cleaning rinse with water, then with alcohol, then blow dry VERY well and let sit.

some of the pros reccomended this and now I use it.

#16 9 years ago

Alcohol and a very soft tooth brush. Can't go wrong.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 125.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
$ 3.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-pc-boards and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.