(Topic ID: 268764)

Cleaning My Pins.

By RivkahChaya

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hi. I've been a lurker for awhile; this is my first post.

I'm wondering if anyone has used wipes designed for electronics on pinball parts? I started using them to cleaning around the mech/electronic parts a while ago-- I have an air compressor, and I blow as much dust off them as possible, then wipe around all the electronic components, and wipe the inside of the backglass.

It occurred to me that I could clean the plastic components of the playfield with these wipes, so I tried it, and they look great. It's been several weeks, and they still look great-- the wipes do not seem to have caused any damage, but they're designed to be very gentle.

I use regular Windex wipes on the front of the backglass, and the topglass, but I'm thinking I could just use the electronics wipes on everything.

I just run a feather duster over the whole machine, unless it is starting to look grimy, and then I use Pledge wipes on it.

I use Pinball wax on the non-plastic parts of the playfield.

My machines seem to stay in really good condition, but I'm sort of doing everything trial and error.

Does anyone see any red flags in what I'm doing?

I don't have any specific training in pins, but I have training in computers, and in power generators, so it's pretty easy for me to figure out the electro-mechanics, but the cleaning I'm picking up from places like this board, and as I said, just trying stuff.

#2 3 years ago

Novus 1 works good too on the plastics etc. I would stay away from cleaning the backside of a translite/screened backglass.

#3 3 years ago

Noted! Thanks.

#4 3 years ago

What exactly is in these electronics wipes chemical or solvent-wise? As long as it’s nothing harsh it’s probably ok. The standard products are Novus 1 for plastics, Novus 2 (sparingly) for deep grime on playfield followed by Novus 1 followed by a natural automotive wax (like Mother’s Gold carnauba), Windex for glass, and only use microfiber cloths for all of the above. Canned air on electronics. Rubbing alcohol or Wildcat rubber cleaner can be ok for cleaning rubbers. I don’t know about using pledge wipes, it’s going to leave a reside. To clean the cab just a slight damp microfiber cloth and dry thoroughly after.

#5 3 years ago

Windex usually has ammonia in it, which isn't good for artwork.

#6 3 years ago

The Windex wipes for electronics don't have ammonia, from what I can tell. The regular ones I use only on plain glass.

Thanks for all the comments. I have pets, so a lot of dust gets stirred up around here, along with the pet fur. I vacuum around them, after I used my compressed air machine (a lot cheaper in the long run than canned air) to keep the fur out. I do a thorough blow out about once a month.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-my-pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.