Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Pickle
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

400-06__91406.1514582134__60368.1522951909.500.750~2 (resized).png
    whRXm (resized).jpg
    8B5C35D1-AC2A-4B46-9399-4AA6320CE08F.jpeg
    s6PrhdiuhY5nvCWp3V9y4xVnkQTDb2aeFo-Y32cirVc (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20220211-122132_Chrome (resized).jpg
    31195092 (resized).jpg
    murray-washing.gif
    #1 2 years ago

Quick question on how to clean my new balls, it says they must be cleaned with alcohol and dried. Is there any other way? I don't stock alcohol in the house although I could get some if needed.

#2 2 years ago

I use Simple Green to remove oil and then Novus #2 to seal them. Or any Carnauba wax to seal is good.

#3 2 years ago

I use break cleaner........Joey

#4 2 years ago
    whRXm (resized).jpgwhRXm (resized).jpg
    #5 2 years ago
    murray-washing.gifmurray-washing.gif
    #6 2 years ago
    31195092 (resized).jpg31195092 (resized).jpg
    #7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Robl45:

Quick question on how to clean my new balls, it says they must be cleaned with alcohol and dried. Is there any other way? I don't stock alcohol in the house although I could get some if needed.

Dollar store has it

#8 2 years ago

Soap and water works. Just like your regular balls

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Soap and water works. Just like your regular balls

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from chad:

I use Simple Green to remove oil and then Novus #2 to seal them. Or any Carnauba wax to seal is good.

Seal, LOL

#11 2 years ago

I just wipe them off? Why do you need some heavy cleaners when they usually have only a thin film of oil on them for shipping?

#12 2 years ago

Almost anything - novus 1, windex. Anything that adds a little moisture. Oh and get yourself some isopropyl alcohol. It's like a dollar and is useful for many pinball-ish things.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I just wipe them off? Why do you need some heavy cleaners when they usually have only a thin film of oil on them for shipping?

Same here.
    I just wipe the oil off with an old t-shirt and drop them in the machine (making sure not to touch them with my hands).
    I subscribe to the school that a micro thin coat of oil on them helps prevent oxidation.

#14 2 years ago

Anyone throw their balls in the tumbler?

Screenshot_20220211-122132_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20220211-122132_Chrome (resized).jpg
    #15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

Anyone throw their balls in the tumbler?
    [quoted image]

I do. It makes the super shiny. Takes 3 or 4 days with walnut media.

#17 2 years ago
    s6PrhdiuhY5nvCWp3V9y4xVnkQTDb2aeFo-Y32cirVc (resized).jpgs6PrhdiuhY5nvCWp3V9y4xVnkQTDb2aeFo-Y32cirVc (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago

Dawn dish detergent is an excellent degreaser. Then a light coat of pure carnauba.

#19 2 years ago

I wipe them in my shirt then dump them in the game.

#20 2 years ago

Am I the only one who just replaces them?

#21 2 years ago

Windex, 409, Fantastic. Then rinse and dry thoroughly.

LTG : )

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Am I the only one who just replaces them?

When you buy replacements you have to clean them too

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

When you buy replacements you have to clean them too

Important. They have rust preventative on them and it can get onto the playfield and help dirty things up.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

well that seems easy enough.

#25 2 years ago

I use Mothers to clean and polish.

8B5C35D1-AC2A-4B46-9399-4AA6320CE08F.jpeg8B5C35D1-AC2A-4B46-9399-4AA6320CE08F.jpeg
    #26 2 years ago

I have brassos polish, does that work?

#27 2 years ago

Ya, simple soap and water is great technique, however too much shining could be considered playing with them.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Ya, simple soap and water is great technique, however too much shining could be considered playing with them.

i"m gonna make them really shiny

#29 2 years ago

A while back I cleaned the brand new ninja's from Ball Baron with alcohol and wiped them clean. Within an hour I started to see oxidation on the pinballs and they looked really bad. Took them out and cleaned them again with the alcohol thinking I must have missed something and they did it again. On the third try I just sprayed them with sprayaway (my favorite glass cleaner) and they have been fine ever sense. I no longer use the alcohol and just clean with the glass cleaner.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Windex, 409, Fantastic. Then rinse and dry thoroughly.

But what if you use the Fantastic first before the Windex and 409? Does that ruin the final result?

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolverinetuner:

But what if you use the Fantastic first before the Windex and 409? Does that ruin the final result?

Use any one of the three you like. I only posted examples of what types of cleaners to use. Just about anything will work.

#32 2 years ago

Wet towel usually

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Use any one of the three you like. I only posted examples of what types of cleaners to use. Just about anything will work.

I guess my attempt at making a joke failed, Lloyd. This is another example of how helpful you are on this forum. Regardless of anything else, you’re still working to give helpful advice!

#34 2 years ago

New balls you want to degrease - so use whatever grease cutting agent you prefer. Iso Alcohol, Dish soap, spray cleaner, whatever.

People fixate too much on balls - decrease, and play until they are nick'd up and then replace and repeat.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from gliebig:

That's what I do too.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from Shogun00:

That's what I do too.

Same!

#37 2 years ago

okay, so I have alcohol I got yesterday. Do I just like put them in bowl with a little of it and turn them a bit and wait for it to flash off? I also have windex I can use as well.

#38 2 years ago

You are really over thinking this
    Just wipe the damn things and get playing!!!

#39 2 years ago

I spray some Novus 1 on a rag, wipe them off quick and drop them in the game. The Novus takes the light film of oil right off.

You’d do more good worrying about waxing your game and replacing the balls when they get scratched than worrying about making sure they are clean enough to eat off.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

I spray some Novus 1 on a rag, wipe them off quick and drop them in the game. The Novus takes the light film of oil right off.
    You’d do more good worrying about waxing your game and replacing the balls when they get scratched than worrying about making sure they are clean enough to eat off.

I waxed two of the games already, I'm about to wax the third. More concerned about the oil on my balls getting everywhere in the game.

#41 2 years ago

Clean with 90+% alcohol, then polish with metal polish. I only use and recommend Blue Magic metal polish. It leaves behind a thin layer of protective silicone (says so right on the label) that makes them very slippery (like new) when finished. Great for metal lane guides too. Available at auto parts stores or Amazon.

Novus is designed to clean and polish plastics. Car wax is designed for finished surfaces. Use the right tool for the job. Don't need a tumbler, but do need a quality metal polish.

400-06__91406.1514582134__60368.1522951909.500.750~2 (resized).png400-06__91406.1514582134__60368.1522951909.500.750~2 (resized).png
    #42 2 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

It leaves behind a thin layer of protective silicone (says so right on the label) that makes them very slippery (like new) when finished.

Proceed with caution… While silicone is not inherently detrimental to the playfield, it can really wreak havoc if the game is ever restored in the future.

If you’re sure you, and anyone who happens to own the game after you, will never restore it, then no worries.

#43 2 years ago

This is probably best for cleaning balls.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-my-balls?hl=jwf_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.