(Topic ID: 325345)

Cleaning my balls...

By zhu808

10 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D70B0B21-5830-4CF4-8D26-903E9A415934 (resized).png
    IMG_2880 (resized).JPG
    giphy.gif

#1 10 months ago

Aloha all,

Anyone have a good way to clean the superficial rust off of their pinball balls? I'm not asking for you to tell me to "just buy new ones!", I'm looking for an actual answer to my question here, with all due respect. Please let me know if you've found a method that works!

Thanks in advance,

z

madscientist

#2 10 months ago

Depending how superficial the rust is, using a cleaner wax will remove it. If the rust has penetrated and pitted the ball, toss it. You do not want them in your machine as they will wear the playfield very quickly.
    Also if your pinball are getting magnetized you can buy a demagnetizers machine but they will just do the same thing again.
    Just purchase new Carbon steels balls to correct.
    https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon

#3 10 months ago

Tumbler, carry around in your coat pocket. Doesn't take much. Even wipe with oil.

And toss them. I wouldn't use in a machine.

LTG : )

#4 10 months ago

Have you priced pinballs? They're $1.60 each.

Rust veins into the steel, penetrating to places you can't see even after removed from the surface.

#5 10 months ago

first I grab mine from my wife's purse ..... oh pinballs! sorry carryon

#6 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Cleaning my balls ...

I see what you did there.

Just buy new ones!

#7 10 months ago

Rusty balls get recycled/tossed. They will just tear up the playfield and wear it down faster. Rust acts like sandpaper.

Do your game a favor and get some new pinballs.

A while back, I ordered a huge supply of them, and then put them in a small tub filled with cheap motor oil for long term storage. It's a little messy to retrieve them, but they stay rust free for years that way.

#9 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

I'm not asking for you to tell me to "just buy new ones!"

I get it, but just buy new ones.

#10 10 months ago

Just buy new ones!

#11 10 months ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Rusty balls get recycled/tossed. They will just tear up the playfield and wear it down faster. Rust acts like sandpaper.
    Do your game a favor and get some new pinballs.
    A while back, I ordered a huge supply of them, and then put them in a small tub filled with cheap motor oil for long term storage. It's a little messy to retrieve them, but they stay rust free for years that way.

These are literally a week old.

#12 10 months ago
    Quoted from generalgman:

Depending how superficial the rust is, using a cleaner wax will remove it. If the rust has penetrated and pitted the ball, toss it. You do not want them in your machine as they will wear the playfield very quickly.
    Also if your pinball are getting magnetized you can buy a demagnetizers machine but they will just do the same thing again.
    Just purchase new Carbon steels balls to correct.
    https://ballbaron.com/product/pinball-carbon

Very superficial.

#13 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

You just bought them? Ask for new ones.

#14 10 months ago
    giphy.gifgiphy.gif
    #15 10 months ago

Who did you buy them from? Ask for replacements.

#16 10 months ago

If they came with your new Stern game these are well known for being less than stellar quality and probably should have been replaced when you unpacked the machine, along with the coil stops - even BEFORE turning the machine on for the first time!

#17 10 months ago

Just buy new ones. I’m surprised no one has given you this easy answer yet….

#18 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Where did you buy them from?

#19 10 months ago

Just replace. I know it’s not what you want to hear. If it’s superficial you can get the surface rust off usually just with novus 2 and a rag and wax them and put ‘em back in. As has been mentioned once you get rust it will come back over time most likely. Expect to change the balls once a year or every 6 months if you play ALOT. It’s not just the rust. Balls get nicks/scratches that will cause wear. You can polish but never remove those nicks/scratches if they are deep. Not worth the time/effort. Simply replace as needed.

#20 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Didn't think of it until you mentioned this, but how close are you to the ocean?

If salt water is a factor, perhaps waxing the new balls will protect them from that salty mist from the ocean.

#21 10 months ago

Also just to confirm, you are sure it is rust and not dried oil that is used to keep them from rusting while being stored?

#22 10 months ago
    Quoted from zhu808:

Aloha all,
    Anyone have a good way to clean the superficial rust off of their pinball balls? I'm not asking for you to tell me to "just buy new ones!", I'm looking for an actual answer to my question here, with all due respect. Please let me know if you've found a method that works!
    Thanks in advance,
    z
    madscientist

I found these beauties in my Guardians when I bought it from a guy who had it in a laundromat.
    When I cycle balls out of my machines, I throw them in a vibratory tumbler with crushed walnut shell and and Flitz additive and let them go for a couple of days. Most of the time they come out with a mirror shine, and are good to use again. I threw these in with a batch just to see what would happen. A couple of them ended up being OK after, but the rest still had rust spots that were beyond superficial and not usable.

IMG_2880 (resized).JPGIMG_2880 (resized).JPG
    #23 10 months ago

Now those are some dirty ass balls .

#24 10 months ago

Semi-interesting pinball fact: If a pinball was made of solid gold, it would be valued at £3,840 at today's prices. An increase of £158 from last week.

#25 10 months ago

Dirt, old wax etc. I just clean with a paper towel and a little mean green.

Rust? Throw them away or give to guests as souveniers. Don't be dumb they cost like $1 a piece.

1 week later
    #26 10 months ago
    D70B0B21-5830-4CF4-8D26-903E9A415934 (resized).pngD70B0B21-5830-4CF4-8D26-903E9A415934 (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-my-balls- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.