Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

m2vzx.jpg
#1 8 years ago

trying to revive a taf which is a pig pen. motor/gear assemblies are loud as hell. was thinking about giving them a bath in the utrasonic but they do both work and i don't wanna f 'em up. what are the experts recommending these days?

#2 8 years ago

With my JM motor, I opened it up and cleaned out the gunk with alcohol and Q-tips and then applied a very minute amount of lithium grease for lubrication.

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

With my JM motor, I opened it up and cleaned out the gunk with alcohol and Q-tips and then applied a very minute amount of lithium grease for lubrication.

did it make a difference aside from being cleaner. was the motor loud or was this just a cleaning and general maintenance?

#4 8 years ago

It was dragging and hiccuping but not necessarily loud. There was a ton of gunk in it though, just old solidified grease, etc.

#5 8 years ago

ok cool. so we have one vote for a munual cleaning/ did any of the threads from the q-tip come off on the gear tines?

#6 8 years ago

Been putting off cleaning my T2 motor....it's just a tad slow the first few shots if it sits for a week or two...then fine...so for now I've been going with.."if it ain't broke"..you know the rest...............Joey

#7 8 years ago

I ultrasonic cleaned and re-lubed a loud STTNG gearbox without screwing anything up (needed manual cleaning too, lots of grease). How is it different than ultrasonic cleaning anything else?

#8 8 years ago

A gearbox is just a bunch of metal parts. I don't see the harm in an ultrasonic bath. Although, I might do a quick manual cleaning to get rid of the bulk of the gunk first.

#9 8 years ago

Clean with brake parts cleaner (trichloroethylene) but don't breath in the fumes. Lube with Teflon based grease, not lithium grease, as lithium will eventually gunk up.

Mac

#10 8 years ago

I would recommend any non-polar solvent as a soak to get out any of the old grease (good solvents include kerosene(cheap but smells), Coleman stove fuel, paint brush cleaner, and brake parts cleaner that was already recommended). Hopefully with the sticky grease removed any particulate will also come out that is binding the gears and making the noise.

If possible, just put the whole gearbox in a container with solvent for a few days and gently shake it around to clean it out.

Ultrasonic is nice, but I don't like to use a water based cleaner in a part that I am not sure I can get fully dry (if you are not fully disassembling it). Also, I have not had good experiences with ultrasonics being able to disolved thick grease.

I don't know if the gear box has any seals in it, but be careful with brake parts cleaner, it can be rough on seals.

#11 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

I ultrasonic cleaned and re-lubed a loud STTNG gearbox without screwing anything up (needed manual cleaning too, lots of grease). How is it different than ultrasonic cleaning anything else?

worried about submerging the motor

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I did this same thing. Cleaned and then had this lithium stringy white grease. Worked great and JM's hand was silent....ahhhhh

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

worried about submerging the motor

You'd take the motor off, wouldn't you? And just clean the gearbox.

#14 8 years ago

I just cleaned and lubed my JM gear box last week. Here is the Teflon-based grease that was recommended to me. It is a bicycle product but worked awesome.

From what I have learned, old gear boxes tend to "throw" the grease off over time, and that is why they are loud and grinding. This product is super sticky.

I wouldn't worry about cleaning the gears with an ultrasonic bath. Seems like over kill. Just clean with Simple Green or a light cleaner and get rid of the old gunky grease.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

You'd take the motor off, wouldn't you? And just clean the gearbox.

i will now that you have uncovered my laziness

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

I just cleaned and lubed my JM gear box last week. Here is the Teflon-based grease that was recommended to me. It is a bicycle product but worked awesome.
From what I have learned, old gear boxes tend to "throw" the grease off over time, and that is why they are loud and grinding. This product is super sticky.
untitled.png
I wouldn't worry about cleaning the gears with an ultrasonic bath. Seems like over kill. Just clean with Simple Green or a light cleaner and get rid of the old gunky grease.

good stuff Eli. I will get some of that and bust out the degreaser and toothbrush. ultrasonic was yet another attempt at laziness

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

Ultrasonic is nice, but I don't like to use a water based cleaner in a part that I am not sure I can get fully dry (if you are not fully disassembling it). Also, I have not had good experiences with ultrasonics being able to disolved thick grease.

Are you guys cleaning gearboxes without drilling out the rivets by soaking it in brake fluid? Can you effectively lubricate the gears from the tiny hole?

#18 8 years ago

I'd imagine you can submerge the motor, granted it is dried out properly. Throw it in a toaster oven for a little bit at like 150. They're just coils with magnets after all. Unless it gets gunked up with cleaning solution, should be fine.

m2vzx.jpgm2vzx.jpg

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

Are you guys cleaning gearboxes without drilling out the rivets by soaking it in brake fluid? Can you effectively lubricate the gears from the tiny hole?

Assuming it is like other Williams WPC gearboxes (I worked on JM), the assembly is held together by two screws. Opens up easily and gives access to the gears.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from thedefog:

I'd imagine you can submerge the motor, granted it is dried out properly. Throw it in a toaster oven for a little bit at like 150. They're just coils with magnets after all. Unless it gets gunked up with cleaning solution, should be fine.
m2vzx.jpg

holy f_ck thats funny. not the tp part. the fact that the "i don't alway clean assy's" part exists on my thread.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Assuming it is like other Williams WPC gearboxes (I worked on JM), the assembly is held together by two screws. Opens up easily and gives access to the gears.

STTNG has rivets

#22 8 years ago

Check this out, it's MB specific but I found it helpful
http://www.iobium.com/rebuilding_the_monster_bash_drac.htm

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

untitled.png

That is the stuff!

#24 8 years ago

perfect. thanks a million man!

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

BSD gearbox is rivetted shot for no fricken reason. I did a sloppy job drilling it out but what idiot thought it should be riveted shut. Every original BSD gearbox sounds like can opener by now because you can't readily clean them out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 180.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-motorgearbox-assys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.