Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC05113.JPG

#1 3 years ago

Can you safely put metal posts (like those on 1965 Bank-A-Ball) in an ultrasonic cleaner? Or is cleaning them by hand with metal polish or another substance preferred?

#2 3 years ago

A session in a tumbler does the job very well.

#3 3 years ago

Since I don't own a tumbler, wondering if my ultrasonic is safe for them or not.

#4 3 years ago

I have done many nickel-plated items in my ultrasonic with no problems. Make sure whatever you use as a cleaning solution is compatible.

#5 3 years ago

chuck them in a drill and use a well worn red scotch brite pad.

#6 3 years ago

I like Never Dull myself. A can is like 5 at almost any auto/dept store.

#7 3 years ago

I did these by hand with mothers chrome polish.
DSC05113.JPG

#8 3 years ago

The fast way I did mine was chuck them in cordless drill and used Mothers mag wheel polish and a soft rag. I have a tumbler but it takes longer.

#9 3 years ago

Keep in mind--clean first to remove any dirt or residue, then polish to shine them up. Those are typically two separate steps.

#10 3 years ago

Yes, I typically clean and then polish, was just wondering specifically about the ultrasonic. Did that last night and they turned out great. Tonight they'll get a good rub-down with Mother's.

Speaking of polishing, if I wanted to get a buffing attachment for my drill (for larger metal parts like coin doors, etc.) would something like this work amazon.com link » or would you guys recommend a Scotch-brite buffing wheel or something like that?

I don't plan to invest in another power tool -- just want to know specifically what works best on a cordless drill.

#11 3 years ago

i would not bother then, do it all by hand or get a grinder/buffer big motor setup. i think the cordless drill things would be a waste of time and money. imo

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Keep in mind--clean first to remove any dirt or residue, then polish to shine them up. Those are typically two separate steps.

Yup. In many cases, they have substantial pitting or tarnish which needs to be addressed before they are polished. Sometimes they only need a polishing, but that's if they are decent to begin with. I've had some that were practically green. They needed a few days in the tumbler, then polishing on a lathe with Mother's metal polish. Even then some of them don't shine up really good. Just too far gone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 34.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 45.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 149.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 29.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside