(Topic ID: 160822)

Cleaning - maybe a stupid question

By cantbfrank

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 7 years ago

I totally understand the hesitancy about breaking down a game with a lot of stuff on the play field. And The advice about hitting it with compressed air/vacuum cleaner seems sound (Vid's advice is often all the advice you really need...)
    I would just say that, if you received the game in a dirty condition (I'm always amazed and disheartened to see Stern Spider Man games looking filthy, but it happens...) you should probably strip down as much as you can, as the trapped stuck-on dirt I would imagine will get loose and cause wear.
    The other up side to doing at least a partial tear down is that you will notice little things that are broken or misaligned that you might not have noticed otherwise. Maybe less of a concern if you're talking about a pin you bought NIB, but when I stripped down my PinBot (which I thought was playing very well), I ended up fixing a score of little things, and the difference was night and day. Same is true of my Diner, which looked very clean but which I wanted to investigate for myself. The whole thing was bouncier and livelier after working on it. And none of what I did was especially difficult. Every pin owner should know how to rebuild flippers and pop bumpers (another Vid shout out goes here), and I just count on doing them over even if the seller swears they're perfect. (They usually aren't) You can really get a game playing like-new with a couple days of diligent TLC. It's incredible how few pin owners do this stuff. Cleaning and maintenance go hand in hand. I try to enjoy the task, and not be in a rush.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sethbenjamin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-maybe-a-stupid-question?tu=sethbenjamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.