(Topic ID: 118980)

Cleaning Lockdown Reciever

By mmr61184

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

995917E7-B611-48E1-8967-5E50B2BBFCCC_zpsurgmua1i.JPG
    image_22794.jpg
    DSCN1019.JPG
    14244023190091288293143.jpg
    th-299.jpeg

#1 9 years ago

Is it worth cleaning the original lockdown reciever out of a game I am restoring, if its pretty dirty is there anyway to even get it nice at all. Part costs are starting to rack up but if it won't come out right I would rather spend the money on a new one no use in taking the cheap way out but if I can do it myself I wouldn't mind that either.

#2 9 years ago

I never replace them and get them to look better than new. I use elbow grease.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I use elbow grease.

Yep. That stuff works wonders.

th-299.jpegth-299.jpeg

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from TaylorVA:

I never replace them and get them to look better than new. I use elbow grease.

I assume you replace the stickers somehow?

#5 9 years ago

How do you get the stains out? I can usually get the dirt/grim/gunk off but there is always discoloration.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

Is it worth cleaning the original lockdown reciever out of a game I am restoring, if its pretty dirty is there anyway to even get it nice at all. Part costs are starting to rack up but if it won't come out right I would rather spend the money on a new one no use in taking the cheap way out but if I can do it myself I wouldn't mind that either.

Is it rusted and pitted?

#7 9 years ago

You can soda blast, use metal polish, send out for replating.....lets see some pics

#8 9 years ago

no pitting or rusting def lots of grime and crap on it.

Quoted from vid1900:

You can soda blast, use metal polish, send out for replating.....lets see some pics

sorry to disappoint vid my game is at my in-laws house and I don't have a pic unfortunately don't have any room at my apartment to work on it unless I want to end up in divorce court. I am going to see if metal polish can get that thing clean.

#9 9 years ago

I use sand paper and then steel wool. Pretty sure Flashinstinct sells some new stickers

#10 9 years ago

Here is the one on my ES. Scrubbed it pretty good, feels nice and smooth. Just discolored...

14244023190091288293143.jpg14244023190091288293143.jpg

#11 9 years ago

I just get a new one and sell the old one. Ends up costing me about $50.

#12 9 years ago

Buffing machine, plenty of compound and about 10 minutes of my time.

DSCN1019.JPGDSCN1019.JPG
    #13 9 years ago

I was recently looking for a new one for a Flight 2000 , found no one selling new ones that style . Depending on the game you are restoring cleaning may be your only option .

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

So buffing machine as in a benchtop buffer, apron, goggles, compound, etc? Just curious if benchtop buffer is the way to go.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

So buffing machine as in a benchtop buffer, apron, goggles, compound, etc? Just curious if benchtop buffer is the way to go.

Yes and thank you for making that distinction. I bought something like this a few years ago.

image_22794.jpgimage_22794.jpg
    #16 9 years ago

if it's real bad, soak it in some evaporust or degreaser and then buff/polish.

eastwood makes fantastic benchtop buffers.

do not waste your time (and money) trying to put buffing wheels on a benchtop grinder. you want those arms and wheels free to do their work.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I bought something like this a few years ago

Yeah that was the exact one I was looking at, at Harbor Freight. Ok, just trying to determine if I will get a lot of use out of it besides cleaning up my lockdown assemblies.

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from pinballholder:

just trying to determine if I will get a lot of use out of it besides cleaning up my lockdown assemblies.

Its also great for rings, hard bracelets or certain jewelry you or your lady might wear. Makes em look brand new. Not all jewelry though as links or some precious stones could catch and go flying. I'm pretty sure you'd have to buy the appropriate wheel for that.

But for solid jewelry it takes out scratches and works better than any polish out there.

#19 9 years ago

Take that sucker to a plating shop and they will slap a new zinc coating on it.

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

DSCN1019.JPG 87 KB

How ironic - the cleanest lockdown receiver ever on a Dirty Harry.

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

found a picture

995917E7-B611-48E1-8967-5E50B2BBFCCC_zpsurgmua1i.JPG995917E7-B611-48E1-8967-5E50B2BBFCCC_zpsurgmua1i.JPG
    #22 9 years ago

I've seen a lot worse.

Should clean up, no problem.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I've seen a lot worse.
    Should clean up, no problem.

thank you think metal polish would take care of that?

#24 9 years ago

Looks like it would.

#25 9 years ago

thanks vid you are always a big help

1 week later
    #26 9 years ago

Does the bench buffer work for legs, side rails, plunger, coin door, etc??? Anybody have pics of any of these?

#28 9 years ago

Hi Zitt,

Another tool I must have, a sand blasting set up. Nice demo.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-lockdown-reciever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.