10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

What is the best way to clean a lock bar mechanism? I took it out of the machine and it was covered in gunk. There is some rust on it as well. Is there a good way to clean the rust up. I don't want to scratch it all up. I don't need it shiny and new just clean. Do you repaint these or what?

Thanks

Joe

#2 10 years ago

i'd clean it really well with mean green (or your cleaning product of choice), then give it a bath in evaporust to get the rust off...

you could also give it a short bath in clr to clean it/get certain crap off... but note the word "short", as clr may (will?) eat the finish off as well...

#3 10 years ago

Can they be re-finished? I see spots where the finish is off from the rust. What do you re-finish them with?

Thanks

#4 10 years ago

sure, you could send it out to be re-finished/re-plated... if it's rusted, there will be pitting, so the finish in those areas is gone...

all depends on how much money you want to spend...

2 weeks later
    #5 10 years ago

Pull it out, run it through the dishwasher, wire brush off any remaining rust, spray paint it grey, put it back.

#6 10 years ago

I just did this on my Star Trek: Mirror Universe project.
    http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/star-trek-mirror-universe-pinball/page/8#post-1525509

I used 80gritt sand paper to remove the gunk / rust (after disassembling) then powdercoated the bar. Reassembled with stainless steel hardware.

#7 10 years ago

I chuck them in my vise and use a brass bristled brush in a hand drill, or use heavy leather gloves and put the brass brush in the drill press. Then, you'll want to refinish them in some way, as you've now stripped any of the original zinc coating that was on them off, and they will rust much easier now.

Most times, you're better off buying new if you want them to be really nice.

#8 10 years ago

I just use a wire wheel to remove the gunk/rust. Now it does remove the finish, but I just shoot it with triple thick and call it a day. I like the clean metal look myself.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-lock-bar-mechanism and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.