682846_300.jpg
evap.jpg
metalrescue.jpg
old socket.jpg
CLR.png
11889747005_b1c8e5e8f1_z.jpg
11889747395_a367a7e271_z.jpg
#1 9 years ago

While stripping my ruined Camelot, I found the light sockets to be very dirty and oxidized. This is not acceptable in a restored cabinet, so I looked for a way to clean them. As oxidation is a chemical problem I would like to use a chemical solution.
I got some feedback from an old electric repairman. He used some household chemicals to tackle the problem. Here I wil explain how I did it:
You need to make three baths:
First a vinegar/ salt solution. Dissolve as much kitchen salt into the vinegar until some salt stays on the bottom.
Second A water/baking soda. Dissolve 1 oz of baking soda into 1 fl. ounce of distilled water.
Third just plain distilled water.
Now you can put the dirty sockets into the first bath. Keep an eye on them, they will become shiny without any effort. This can take up to 5 minutes.
Ones they are clean you have to stop the process by putting them into the second bath. Keep them in here for about 5 minutes.
Afterwards you rinse them in the distilled water.
Now they should be nice and shiny. Use some hot air to dry them thoroughly, and spray them with some vaseline spray for protection.

Here there is a picture of the result:
the left one is how I found them, the right is the cleaned one.
The one in the middle is only done half to prove it is working (for the infidels)

The one in the middle is only done half to prove it is working (for the infidels)The one in the middle is only done half to prove it is working (for the infidels)

A second picture to compare, take notice of the center contact point. This is otherwise impossible to clean.

11889747005_b1c8e5e8f1_z.jpg11889747005_b1c8e5e8f1_z.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Oftentimes the center insulator has shrank, so you probably should not solder to the lug, but solder directly to the nipple itself on the top.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Oftentimes the center insulator has shrank, so you probably should not solder to the lug, but solder directly to the nipple itself on the top.

Sorry for the question, but as English is not my native language, can you show with a picture or something what you mean with this?
As far as I can see the springs are ok and the lamps test ok, but I think your tip makes the restoration more durable?

#5 9 years ago

I usually use the end of a dowel that is covered by a cotton rag. I usually soak the tip of the rag covered dowel in something like 95% alcohol and "ream" it around inside the light socket to clean.

If the socket is still problematic then the issue is usually the connection of the lamp's center conductor as Vid mentioned. You can notice the center connection's solder lug doesn't directly connect to the center connection nipple on the lamp. The current has to pass through the lug, through a brass/copper rivet, and onto a spring-loaded armature that makes contact with the lamp's center nipple.

Conducting through all those things are often the problem. Dirt/corrosion or a shrunken insulator.

The fix is to connect the lamp's power connection from the normal solder lug directly onto to the center conductor armature. Me? I usually just solder a short pigtail wire from the center solder lug onto the center conductor itself. Some folks desolder the wire and remove it from the lug and move it to the center conductor instead.
That usually fixes defective sockets.

Your cleaning method is pretty good. Me? I'd rather just buy a new socket(s).

#6 9 years ago

CLR does a pretty decent job with about a 15 second dip (mixed 50/50 with water, and then rinsed). A Q-tip soaked in it can also be used to spot clean sockets without removing them. I've been able to resurrect 'dead' sockets with a quick dip/rinse (due to the corrosion, not due to the insulator wafer swelling). As always, YMMV.

CLRCLR

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

CLR does a pretty decent job with about a 15 second dip (mixed 50/50 with water, and then rinsed). A Q-tip soaked in it can also be used to spot clean sockets without removing them. I've been able to resurrect 'dead' sockets with a quick dip/rinse (due to the corrosion, not due to the insulator wafer swelling). As always, YMMV.

Would this harm the insulator? Alternatively, would evapo-rust harm the insulator?

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

Sorry for the question, but as English is not my native language, can you show with a picture or something what you mean with this?
As far as I can see the springs are ok and the lamps test ok, but I think your tip makes the restoration more durable?

Often, the "lug" is loose because the little fiber insulation washer has shrunk (if the lug can spin, you know it's loose).

So, soldering directly to the tip itself will make the socket much more reliable.

old socket.jpgold socket.jpg

#9 9 years ago

+1 on the CLR with q-tip method. Did this for the Comet I'm working on and it worked better than I could have imagined. Only question is whether or not future issues will develop on the contacts, since the stuff is pretty caustic. You also don't need to use much of it at all, and it stinks so you want to do it somewhere with some ventilation.

#10 9 years ago

CLR can get off any scale but can also eat into the zinc coatings pretty quickly. Also try MetalRescue or EvapoRust to remove all the rust; they can tolerate being left in that stuff a lot longer, but not too long otherwise, as with CLR, can start to blacken. (I prefer the consistency and performance of EvapoRust a bit better but both are good)
evap.jpgevap.jpgmetalrescue.jpgmetalrescue.jpg

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Often, the "lug" is loose because the little fiber insulation washer has shrunk.
So, soldering directly to the tip itself will make the socket much more reliable.

I wasn't quite sure what you meant earlier either. Thanks for the photo--it makes more sense now.

Can you pop out the lug and replace the washer? Or does the lug not come out with a quick tug?

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Can you pop out the lug and replace the washer? Or does the lug not come out with a quick tug?

Nope. It's all pressed together. You'd destroy the socket getting a new fiber washer in there.

I have a Dremel with a cylindrical grinding tip that I use to clean up the inside. I then do what Vid does and solder the single wire to the nipple and the socket base to the support arm. Sometimes you have to squeeze the socket to get a tight fit. I'm guessing the newer lamp bases are --><-- this much smaller than the older GE lamp sockets in the past.

#13 9 years ago

if the fiber washers shrink over time, maybe soaking them will make them swell up a bit which in this case might be good.

#14 9 years ago

Unless you have a bunch of bad sockets in a game, once you go to the trouble of removing the socket completely, I'd just put a new one in. They aren't that expensive.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, it's a rivet, and the washer is make of Bakelite, so it would crumble if you mess with it.

New sockets are so cheap, it is not worth a lot of effort to save them.

Moving the lug is easy enough.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

New sockets are so cheap, it is not worth a lot of effort to save them.
Moving the lug is easy enough.

Some of us are want to be frugal (positive spin of 'cheap') and salvage where possible, especially if intentionally collecting on low-price level EM's.

Quoted from NYP:

if the fiber washers shrink over time, maybe soaking them will make them swell up a bit which in this case might be good.

I was wondering this too. Is Super Glue conductive/flammable once dry? Would trying to get that insulating washer to soak up as much Super Glue as possible, letting it dry, both cause it to swell in general, and then rely on the super glue to both prevent it from shrinking and otherwise adhere to both metal surfaces?

In my Camelot and Harvest, most sockets are dim due to the main socket cylinder being too lose, which moving the wire to the nipple doesn't solve (of course I've had to do that too though for plenty of sockets). If the washer could swell up and stay that way permanently, could it avoid having to solder the socket cylinder to the base?

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Wahnsinniger:

If the washer could swell up and stay that way permanently, could it avoid having to solder the socket cylinder to the base?

The washer is just on the tip nipple.

The cylinder is press fit into the base stem.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The washer is just on the tip nipple.
The cylinder is press fit into the base stem.

I was worrying that as I typed it out. Shoot.

#19 9 years ago

I just use a dremel tool with a wire brush. Takes 2-3 seconds per socket with no desoldering. I believe the center contact rivet issue is more due to the spring losing tension than the fiber washers shrinking. The fiber washer shrinking would cause poor contact with the outer housing/grounded bracket instead. I have all the parts to rebuild these sockets (from Lionel trains parts inventory) but it is not worth the time compared to the cost to just buy new ones

#20 9 years ago

What dremel bit are you using for rust removal?

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

I believe the center contact rivet issue is more due to the spring losing tension than the fiber washers shrinking.

Both are trouble, but you know the washer has shrunk when the lug can be turned.

On new sockets, the lug usually bends or breaks if you try to spin the lug to a different position.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from PghPinballRescue:

What dremel bit are you using for rust removal?

Just a wire brush. It is about 1/8" - 3/16" diameter with the wire about 1/4" long protruding from the end.

#23 9 years ago

The only number I can find for the wire brush is #443

#24 9 years ago

682846_300.jpg682846_300.jpg

This 1/4" works great and can not get hung in the spring.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from sixpakmopar:

The only number I can find for the wire brush is #443

Don't bother looking for #443 in your Lowe's or Home Depot, you won't find them there. Have to order online.

#26 9 years ago

As you see, there are countless ways to clean them. Also a lot of chemicals to do the job, but I just wanted to share my option. It's cheap and widely available.
And for those who call me cheap, I just like to recover as much as possible from the original parts.

#27 9 years ago

These work fine when put in a battery power drills' chuck.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SCS

detail.jpgdetail.jpg

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Unless you have a bunch of bad sockets in a game, once you go to the trouble of removing the socket completely, I'd just put a new one in. They aren't that expensive.

Amen! My time is worth more than the $1 it would cost to replace the socket. I give a bum socket a once-over with some fine sandpaper and then with the "eraser" that PBR sells. If that doesn't fix it, it's new socket time!

#29 9 years ago

I have a parts vibrator which I found to work very well on light sockets.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

What kind of media do you use for this job?

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

What kind of media do you use for this job?

Walnut chips... Pet store..

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Works great on the bulbs too.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Works great on the bulbs too.

Is it true Pin-it that the friction from the walnut shells actually illuminates the globes-err I mean bulbs?

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Is it true Pin-it that the friction from the walnut shells actually illuminates the globes-err I mean bulbs?

Not to my knowledge,not unless they contain a microwave magnetron.

#35 9 years ago

where do you get new sockets cheap. All the ones I see are 1-3$ each.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062369#

(6-Pack)
Model: 272-355 | Catalog #: 272-355
Price:
$1.99
Supposedly these are a "ba9s" socket holder, not an E-10 as listed.
Best to go look at them in store.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

http://www.pbresource.com/sockets.html

On the "special when lit" page he had some generic sockets that were something like .25 each. I bought some, and the construction quality is fine.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

(6-Pack)
Price:
$1.99

Were you able to get solder to stick to them?

Lately, it seems like everything at Radioshack is made of some non solderable metal......

#40 9 years ago

Yeah, I only saw $1 once or twice a while back. Now it is >2$ which I think is way to much considering that you need 20-40 of them most likely to redo some of those beaten $500 machines. $3 each is a no go for me. $.25c each and I will replace most of them.

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from nate1981s:

Yeah, I only saw $1 once or twice a while back. Now it is >2$ which I think is way to much considering that you need 20-40 of them most likely to redo some of those beaten $500 machines. $3 each is a no go for me. $.25c each and I will replace most of them.

What are you talking about? PBR sells most of their sockets for under a dollar each, unless it's some kind of a specialty socket.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Lately, it seems like everything at Radioshack is made of some non solderable metal......

Good not just me with some recently made stuff! I had that problem with these: (leaf switch adapters for microswitch pushbuttons to retain most of a leaf feel). I tried a 160 watt double barrel soldering iron and could not get any solder to stick for more than a little bit, even after it turned the metal dark yellow/brown. No clue what it's made of, had to switch to spade connectors.
rollie-leaf-switch-for-pushbutton.jpgrollie-leaf-switch-for-pushbutton.jpg

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

(6-Pack)
Price:
$1.99

The nearest radioshack is an over 3000 miles drive. Doesn't make sense to get some sockets
And the kind you suggest don't have a bracket to attach them?

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from Ramakers:

And the kind you suggest don't have a bracket to attach them?

Those are flush sockets, generally used for GI - they get stapled through the solder lugs.

#45 9 years ago

Those Radio Shack sockets are about as cheaply made as can be. Much rather stick with what Steve sells as they come straight from the original manufacture that has made sockets for the pinball industry for tons of years now.

I Guess I am in the minority here. Unless a socket is falling apart, I don't replace it. I have never had an issue just soldering the wire to the back of the spring loaded center pin, and soldering the body to the bracket. Then give it a quick spin of the sanding stick that PBR sells and I am done. It may not be pretty, but it works.

I take a small triangular needle file and clean a small area adjoining the bracket and body. Use a standard solder station (turned all the way up to its highest setting - 790F) and apply a small amount of solder.

With the playfield flipped over, it doesn't take more than about 15 minutes to do a standard EM playfield. Slightly longer if it has any Bonus Light rails on it that have to be unscrewed for access.

I realize that some of you disassemble every single piece and shine up all the brackets to make them look like new again, but me, I would rather be playing pinball than polishing. Once fixed, no one really sees the underside of my pins anyway.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

These work fine when put in a battery power drills' chuck.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-SCS

detail.jpg 4 KB

Now why did I not think of that. Thks for the very obvious (but not to me) tip.

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from wayner:

Now why did I not think of that. Thks for the very obvious (but not to me) tip.

I've used them before ( never in a drill) and they sort of work but I always thought they should be thicker in diameter to match the size of the socket better.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-light-sockets?hl=manples and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.