Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by cal50
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 10 years ago

Hey all,

Quick question for anyone who happens to have a way of doing this. Is there any good way to clean larger metal parts, such as ramps or habitrails, short of elbow grease and time? All of the smaller stuff winds up in the tumbler, but the bigger parts seem to be a bit of a time suck. Thanks in advance; greatl appreciated.

Luke

#2 10 years ago

depends on what you mean by clean? Just shining them up, just a rag and some good chrome polish should clean it up fairly quickly. If you have oxidized metal, some people use a sandblaster with a very soft media

#3 10 years ago

Hey,

Kind what I thought. I may spray them down with citrus degreaser before I go to town...

Luke

#4 10 years ago

For habitrails I use scotch brite pads(the big green ones work very good) and for wire forms I use never dull metal polish.

#5 10 years ago

The sand blaster makes things look awesome!

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Most sand blasters can be easily converted into Soda Blasters - for a much more gentle cleaning.

So gentle you can use it to remove corrosion from circuit boards without lifting the traces.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Hey all,
    Quick question for anyone who happens to have a way of doing this. Is there any good way to clean larger metal parts, such as ramps or habitrails, short of elbow grease and time? All of the smaller stuff winds up in the tumbler, but the bigger parts seem to be a bit of a time suck. Thanks in advance; greatl appreciated.
    Luke

I spray them with Castrol Super Clean wait 5 minutes then rinse with warm water.

#8 10 years ago

I know it's supposed to be a plastic polish, but I find Novus 3 on a rag to be a great metal cleaner/polish. Not much elbow grease or time required. Rag comes out black, metal comes out shiny. And it's much less caustic on your skin than most products designed to clean metal.

#9 10 years ago

Bleech White for metal stuff. Scuzzy ramp / circuit boards go in the dish washer when the wife is away at a safe distance ( for me). Smaller stuff in the tumbler.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from cal50:

cuzzy ramp / circuit boards go in the dish washer when the wife is away at a safe distance ( for me)

Wife talking to mother on phone: "I don't know, somethings up. He even unloaded the dishwasher today while I was at work - without me asking."

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Wife talking to mother on phone: "I don't know, somethings up. He even unloaded the dishwasher today while I was at work - without me asking."

It not just the dishwasher~
    I was flattening plastics in the oven and got a really odd look when she opened the door.........

#12 10 years ago

Bench Grinder and polishing wheel is the best, but when being lazy magic eraser and white spirit works pretty well also.

#13 10 years ago

Hey,

I've looked at soda/sand blasters before; if I had the air source to drive it, I might be more inclined to go that route. In regard to the SuperClean, how is that stuff relative to someone like Purple Power, which will eat plating on metal parts if it's on there too long?

Luke

#14 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

I've looked at soda/sand blasters before; if I had the air source to drive it, I might be more inclined to go that route.

Yes, any kind of media blasting requires a LOT of compressed air. I've tried doing it with 3 cfm and I spent more time waiting for the compressor to catch up than I did blasting. 8 or 10 cfm should work well.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from lukerp:

Hey,
    I've looked at soda/sand blasters before; if I had the air source to drive it, I might be more inclined to go that route. In regard to the SuperClean, how is that stuff relative to someone like Purple Power, which will eat plating on metal parts if it's on there too long?
    Luke

I haven't had any problems with it on plastics or metal, it works almost instantly.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from browne92:

Yes, any kind of media blasting requires a LOT of compressed air. I've tried doing it with 3 cfm and I spent more time waiting for the compressor to catch up than I did blasting. 8 or 10 cfm should work well.

I have a 14cfm and would prefer more air, most cabinets recommend at least 18 cfm, which starts to get expensive. If you are only doing small pin parts as opposed to rusty dirty car parts then you can put up with waiting for air.

#17 10 years ago

Match the blast nozzle diameter to the cfm output of the air compressor. Blasting anything will empty an air tank but using the correct nozzle will yield better results.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-large-metal-parts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.