• Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
79EDB0A3-D8CE-4CE0-B64B-3B79E0E4CF6C (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Hello everyone, I just bought my first pinball machine the other day - Iron Maiden Pro. I really want to make sure I am keeping the game and playfield clean. I’ve been watching YouTube videos and reading guides and tutorials on what and what not to use as far as cleaning products go. I read vid1900’s guide on here but there are a few products I won’t be able to get. Please bear with me because I have A LOT of questions. First off I am located in Canada and cannot get Klean Strip VM&P Naphtha shipped to Canada. (websites don’t allow it to be shipped here) Is there an alternative to Naphtha that I could use? One Grand Blitz Wax is another product that I am having a hard time getting my hands on so I’m going to try Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax Paste. I see a lot of talk about Novus 1 & 2 as well. I’m really confused on what each one does and when to use them. Can anyone please give me a detailed breakdown of what I’m supposed to do when I wax the playfield, clean the ramps and so on. I’m so confused and stressed - I want my machine to look good and play well for years to come. Any feedback and help will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks.

#2 2 years ago

Someone will give you a more detailed response, but all I use to clean the playfield is novus 1. Novus 2 is a bit more abrasive and is only used for “deeper” dirt spots. If your machine is new you should only need novus 1 to clean it. As far as wax I’ve used blitz and it’s ok. I use turtle carnauba wax most of the time. A little goes a very long way with wax. I still have the first container of wax I bought I don’t even know how long ago.

#3 2 years ago

Don’t over think it and don’t over do it. Doesn’t need cleaned all that often. Maybe every thousand games or so is plenty.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from Charbyno57:

Please bear with me because I have A LOT of questions.

No worries. Let's go through it.

First, it is VERY rare that I use Naphtha on a game. I'll use Novus 1 or 2. Depending.

Novus 1 is a thin liquid (Spray the rag, NOT the game). It's nice for a quick cleanup. Have plenty of extra clean cloths as well, and switch them often. You don't want to grind in dirt, you are removing dirt.

Novus 2 is thicker. Not quite a paste, just a very thick liquid. Always shake the container well. Novus 2 is more abrasive. But it isn't really that abrasive. It will get off the thicker dirt layers. Again, on the rag, not the playfield. Always be careful of posts and edges of stuff. If Novus 2 (or wax) gets on a playfield post, you may not see it... until it dries. And there is nothing worse than looking at a clean game with these white toothpaste blotches all over the posts.

Be careful with Novus 2 on very old games and EMs with thin lacquer. You don't need to worry too much on Maiden, but on an old checked playfield, it will remove paint. You will experience it in this hobby eventually.

Quoted from Charbyno57:

Mothers Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax Paste.

NO! Never use a wax with a cleaner in it. You are looking for a pure wax with nothing in it but wax. Mothers makes an awesome paste with nothing but wax, you should use that.

The problem with my saying that is others will disagree. They will say they have used wax with cleaners for 10 years without issue, and good for them. I like to know exactly what I'm putting on my game. Cleaners for cleaning, wax for wax.

Because you are new to maintaining pins, I'll say this one up front. Pins don't use lube, except in some small and obvious spots. Never get tempted to put grease in a flipper or something. A similar warning would be to never use WD-40 in a pinball machine, or any spray stuff. At best it turns into gum, and at worse there are still fumes when the game goes pop.

The first time cleaning a game can be a bit intimidating. And that is totally normal. My advice for that is to just do a quick wipedown first. Nothing too deep, just getting used to working on a game.

Balls. Replace them early, replace them often. If you ever notice a scratch or dent in a ball (which can happen as they hit metal), get rid of it. Not tomorrow, not one more game, right in the trash. Most of the time they can be cleaned quickly. And sometimes the polish marks can look like issues, so check with your hands. Any type of ball damage will chew a playfield over time.

Sorry this is so long. Welcome to an awesome hobby that keeps giving back fun. If you have questions, just let me know. If you hear the complete opposite of what I've said, just go with your gut.

#5 2 years ago

I clean my pins often. A quick spray and wipe down every 100 plays and when the wax feels like it need a refresh a little goes a long way. I have sold some HUO games with 1500 plays where the shooter lane doesn't have a single mark or spot. Literally looks like it came out the box last week. Clean with a good non alcohol spray cleaner nothing harsh and use mothers wax with a micro fiber cloth. Stay away from Novus cleaners. These are used more for games that are in the wild and get 4k+ plays on them and need a good deep cleaning.

#6 2 years ago

I still say you can clean too often. Every 100 games? Thats too much.

#7 2 years ago

At the most basic it being a new home use machine here’s all you need to do…. Wipe playfield with a microfiber cloth and a little Novus 1 whenever you notice it’s getting dirty. That’s all you need to do for a long long time. It will be a couple years at least until everything is dirty enough where you need to even consider removing parts or polishing Ramps or would need Novus 2 or whatnot and you have plenty of time to learn about everything.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Balls. Replace them early, replace them often. If you ever notice a scratch or dent in a ball (which can happen as they hit metal), get rid of it. Not tomorrow, not one more game, right in the trash. Most of the time they can be cleaned quickly. And sometimes the polish marks can look like issues, so check with your hands. Any type of ball damage will chew a playfield over time.

This is probably the best advice you’ll get and more important than waxing in my opinion. I know many people with home use stern games with thousands of plays that have never been waxed and still look like new. As long as your ensuring you are replacing your balls often and when signs of wear appear.

If you must absolutely wax, you need to use a 100% carnauba wax, which is harder to come by in Canada. Try p21s, but your eyes will go wide with sticker shock when you see how much a 100% carnauba wax costs. I don’t wax my newer games anymore, I give them an occasional wipe down with wizards mist and shine, sprayed onto a rag first, never directly to the play field. I find it works great! Believe this is the product jersey Jack recommends also for cleaning. Just my 2 cents, I’m sure you’ll continue to get lots of opinions.

#9 2 years ago

I appreciate all the feedback so far. Learning so much! Ok so if I’m understanding this correctly I’m going to get microfibre cloths, Novus 1 and Carnauba Wax that isn’t a cleaner. First I’ll spray Novus 1 onto a cloth and apply gently to the playfield to remove whatever dust and dirt has accumulated on the playfield/ramps. After that I will apply wax onto the playfield with a different microfibre cloth. I’ll let it sit for about 20 minutes and then gently wipe the playfield with another clean microfibre cloth. My next question is what do I use on the rubbers to clean them? Will this wax work instead of the Cleaner Wax Paste?

79EDB0A3-D8CE-4CE0-B64B-3B79E0E4CF6C (resized).png79EDB0A3-D8CE-4CE0-B64B-3B79E0E4CF6C (resized).png
#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Charbyno57:

Hello everyone, I just bought my first pinball machine the other day - Iron Maiden Pro. I really want to make sure I am keeping the game and playfield clean...

Like most have said, Novus 1 for the occasional clean. I think always keeping clean is far better than waxing and pretending it's fine for a year is a better option. Just my personal preference. I do wax occasionally tho, maybe once a year.

If you wax, One Grand Blitz Wax is the choice for me. Real, 100% carnauba wax is as hard as a brick - so it will have an additive to make it pliable regardless of what they say. Last time I checked with One Grand Blitz Wax, they used bees wax as opposed to other additives to soften the carnauba. I'm no expert, but the bee's wax seems to be rather benign with respect to additives other companies use, according to many posts on the net.

From Griots Car Tips: "Exaggerated marketing and plain old misinformation have created a confusing bunch of car care assumptions. Many car care manufacturers advertise their waxes as being “100% Carnauba Wax.” We sure hope not! If what they were selling you was pure carnauba wax, it would be hard as a rock and come in brick or flake form. The pure carnauba would be too hard to apply to your paint (and would probably scratch it)." Link: https://www.hagerty.com/media/maintenance-and-tech/carnauba-wax/

DaveH mentioned replacing the balls - good advice. Some of the Stern balls I've replaced in pins are cratered under a eye piece, really bad actually. Replace with some good carbon steel ones. I don't automatically replace the balls if they are OK looking, but I'll buy a batch of carbon steel ones and just replace the all the balls in the pins all at once every year or two (we just occasionally play a few times a week) just because it's cheaper to buy in bulk and keeps me from having to remember what pin had the balls replaced.

To sum it up: Keep it clean and make sure the balls are in good shape. Don't over-think it.

Have fun w/IMDN, it's a great shooting pin!

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

First, it is VERY rare that I use Naphtha on a game.

Just to add, Naphtha isn't necessary just for a wipe-down and light cleaning.

It's usually only needed for a game that's been neglected for years and needs a total tear-down. Maiden is still a relatively new game, and I can't see it as being too necessary.

Quoted from Charbyno57:

Will this wax work instead of the Cleaner Wax Paste?

Alternate source for blitz if it helps: https://carcarespecialties.com/product/one-grand-blitz-carnauba-wax-12-oz-jar/

If you can't get blitz, some people use p21s wax instead. I think it's easier to obtain than blitz is.

From what I understand, Mothers wax doesn't last as long on the playfield before it needs to be re-applied.

When it comes to price, you get what you pay for.

Also, a jar of blitz can last a pretty long time before you use it all up.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm no expert, but the bee's wax seems to be rather benign

Yeah, beeswax is just less hard than carnauba wax and has a lower melting point.

Quoted from mbwalker:

I'll buy a batch of carbon steel ones and just replace the all the balls in the pins all at once every year or two

A popular ball supplier: https://ballbaron.com/

The balls are coated in oil (be sure to clean them before putting them in your game). If you buy a big batch of balls all at once, I'd recommend putting the spares in a small plastic bin of motor oil (a quart of whatever the cheapest oil is should work fine--you're not using it in an engine). While they will last a fairly long time like this, they're still exposed to air, and that sometimes starts affecting them after a couple years.

Quoted from DaveH:

Pins don't use lube, except in some small and obvious spots.

Gearboxes are the only place where grease might be found, but those are typically sealed. There's a few specific mechs on EM games as well, but that's it. Modern games use no lubricants, oil, or WD-40 anywhere in any mechs.

#12 2 years ago

Thanks for the link ForceFlow. Bought One Grand Blitz through it

#13 2 years ago

Simple... tiny bit of Mothers let it sit for 5 minutes then wax off with a different cloth. Done!!

#14 2 years ago

To clean rubbers can just use a damp cloth ina pinch. Rubbing alcohol too. If you want a real good rubber cleaner that will clean any dirty rubber quickly check out Wildcat Rubber Cleaner. One bottle has lasted me like 15 years

https://www.pinballlife.com/wildcat-rc-88-rubber-cleaner.html

#15 2 years ago

tagging along. good information!

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from jackd104:

To clean rubbers can just use a damp cloth ina pinch. Rubbing alcohol too. If you want a real good rubber cleaner that will clean any dirty rubber quickly check out Wildcat Rubber Cleaner. One bottle has lasted me like 15 years
https://www.pinballlife.com/wildcat-rc-88-rubber-cleaner.html

I've tried the rubber cleaner from Titan, and it seems to work fine. But I'll likely just try some mild cleaner I have sitting around the house next time. Maybe try to do a comparison between the two at the same time. I do want to avoid harsh cleaners, so I'll have to give it some thought first.

#17 2 years ago

I bought some CP-100 for the rubbers, read that it’s a pretty good product to use

#18 2 years ago

Honestly I think the main thing with cleaning rubber is just a little moisture. Water, spit, Novus 1 etc. unless it’s like a heavily routed super filthy game you probably don’t need much special product. Home use clean games just some moisture.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from Charbyno57:

I bought some CP-100 for the rubbers, read that it’s a pretty good product to use

Thanks for the post. I had to look that up, hadn't noticed or heard of it before. Looks like naphtha's in it?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#20 2 years ago

Yup, lighter fluid

#21 2 years ago

https://pinballmedics.ca/

Has the one grand blitz wax.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanted
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-iron-maiden-pro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.