Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by BadBrad97
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hey guys~ Just ordered a LED kit from Cointaker. Just wanting to know what or if I should clean the bottoms of the inserts with while I change out all of the bulbs?

#2 10 years ago

That's always a good thing to do, most older games have never had it done. You will need A LOT of Q-tips. The inserts near coils are usually dirty.

#3 10 years ago

Canned air can work well and be quick if the dirt is more powdery and not caked on

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

Canned air can work well and be quick if the dirt is more powdery and not caked on

That's a terrible idea. It will not clean and will blow coil dust EVERYWHERE, including on under playfield boards and will possibly cause shorts. Use Novus 1 and q-tips, excellent results.

#5 10 years ago

I use a Q-tip. Spray one end with Windex, clean the insert and dry with the dry end. You can usually get a few inserts with one Q-tip. If the inserts are really dirty, it's one swab per insert.

#6 10 years ago

Don't know exactly what they are called...maybe 'swab'...but they are a long plastic stick(like a straw) w/ a little square cube of foam on end and I have used them w/ great results also. Used Windex and Novus 2 as mention in other replies. I did used Q-Tips prior but looked for a alternative as little pcs. Of the cotton swab would get stuck around inserts etc.

#8 10 years ago

I have some dirt in the star rollovers. I wonder if these, Tape Head Cleaning Swab, 36/Pack, would work for those?

#9 10 years ago

I just use a little wire brush to clean mine out, then wiped down with a paper towel. Got all the corrosion off and didn't get too messy either. Just make sure there aren't any wire hairs left in the socket when you're done.

#10 10 years ago

Q-Tip with Orange Power citrus cleaner for really filthy pins. Cuts through the worst muck with ease.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from schudel5:

I use a Q-tip. Spray one end with Windex, clean the insert and dry with the dry end. You can usually get a few inserts with one Q-tip. If the inserts are really dirty, it's one swab per insert.

Don't use Windex for plastic's (inserts are plastic)! Only thing Windex is good for on a pin is clean the PF glass with it!

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Don't use Windex for plastic's! Only thing Windex is good for on a pin is clean the PF glass with it!

Huh? Never had an issue in 13 years on inserts or on plastics.

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cruzin1a:

I have some dirt in the star rollovers. I wonder if these, Tape Head Cleaning Swab, 36/Pack, would work for those?

Star rollovers as in a EM?(guess they could be the same for SS pins) I used to take them out(carefully!as tabs can break easy)to clean, but some find it worth the money/time to just buy new ones and install.

#14 10 years ago

Very simple way to get them very clean. Use Windex with Vinegar (Its the Clear Windex.) you may have to shop around a few stores to find it.

Get spray nozzle as close as you can to insert and shoot the insert. No problem with the runoff on other things as there is usually next to nill and the part that may get some is then wiped clean anyway . Wires, Bulbs etc.

The playfield wood will not be damaged either so nothing to worry about there.

Then simply using a soft cloth soak up or wipe insert and for the smaller inserts Q-tips are fine.

Most of the windex after the blast will run to the bottom of the insert anyway carrying the dirt.( if playfield is raised while cleaning them) so it just needs to be soaked up.

The windex with vinegar is also the best thing to use for the glass and I have also used it for cleaning boards.

and initial cleaning metal assemblies including coils and sleeves.

The initial blast 99% of the time get the inserts completely clean if not repeat procedure again.

#15 10 years ago

Don't use Windex or any other cleaner with ammonia. Use the ammonia free Windex or other cleaner that does not contain ammonia. It's the ammonia that is bad for plastics. For this reason, you shouldn't use ammonia based cleaners on modern flat screen computer monitors, laptop screens etc.

I like to take the playfield out in the driveway and blast it with a nozzle from my air compressor getting into the inserts and around the flippers before cleaning the inserts with q-tips. I spray the window cleaner on one end of the q-tip, wipe out the insert and dry with the other end.

#16 10 years ago

I just use a mix of windex and water and a small paintbrush (about 1/2 inch thick) to clean them. Wiping q-tips through all those little grooves under the inserts takes way too much time.
    Afterwards I wipe them dry with paper towel.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

Star rollovers as in a EM?(guess they could be the same for SS pins) I used to take them out(carefully!as tabs can break easy)to clean, but some find it worth the money/time to just buy new ones and install.

Yeah the star rollovers in my Surf Champ. I'd love to get them cleaned up. Thought about replacing them also.

#18 10 years ago

Lot's of good tips - thanks guys! I guess I have a big job ahead of me lol.

#19 10 years ago

Just to be clear( No pun intended) Windex with Vinegar does not contain ammonia.

http://www.windex.com/en-US/Products/Pages/multi-surface-vinegar.aspx

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

I like to take the playfield out in the driveway and blast it with a nozzle from my air compressor getting into the inserts and around the flippers before cleaning the inserts with q-tips.

Same with me, I always figure if the inserts are filthy, as most are, then the rest of the machine needs cleaning too.

I blow the whole machine off with compressed air, if I can, prior to starting any cleaning. It gets rid of a lot of stuff that you won't have to remove with rags, q-tips and elbow grease later.

Robert

#21 10 years ago

If a machine is not too old, I'll pull the playfield and take it outside the shop and clean everything with compressed air.

Older 60s 70s and early 80's machines you must beware, because sometimes the inserts go flying out from the air. Not fun trying find them in the parking lot....

#22 10 years ago

I pull out the entire playfield and soak it overnight in the bathtub filled with Windex. (ok. that was a joke, Don't ever do that) +3 on Q-tips and Novus 1

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.