(Topic ID: 279421)

Cleaning HD glass

By pudluther

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC00707 (resized).JPG
    E3FB1E5A-09FA-454B-8306-9CA7BA6E5DD4 (resized).jpeg
    B89D78F5-985F-4595-9C6F-42083564E81D (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Can I use this to clean Stern’s HD glass?

I was told I need ammonia free cleaner and a microfiber cloth.

Thanks.

B89D78F5-985F-4595-9C6F-42083564E81D (resized).jpegB89D78F5-985F-4595-9C6F-42083564E81D (resized).jpegE3FB1E5A-09FA-454B-8306-9CA7BA6E5DD4 (resized).jpegE3FB1E5A-09FA-454B-8306-9CA7BA6E5DD4 (resized).jpeg
    #2 3 years ago

Ammonia free is safe. Spray on the cloth, wipe the glass.

#3 3 years ago

I use Sparkle Ammonia-free; seems similar, but I'm not 100% what causes the problem.

#4 3 years ago

Thanks. Knew I needed ammonia free but wasn’t sure if there was another ingredient that messed with the coating.

#5 3 years ago

The way I understand it, the Ammonia deteriorates the anti reflective coating on the glass.

#6 3 years ago

Do we know if 70% isopropyl alcohol wipes work? Then wipe off with microfiber?

#7 3 years ago

I wouldn’t use that. Directions say ammonia free glass cleaners and that’s what I use.

#8 3 years ago

This is what I use for glass, invisglass, magic glass, etc. etc.

Spray on microfiber cloth, wipe the glass clean.

LTG : )

DSC00707 (resized).JPGDSC00707 (resized).JPG
    #9 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

I have some of that as well.

#10 3 years ago

I've tried Windex, Sprayway, and Invisible Glass, all of them ammonia free... Invisible glass does the nicest job with no streaking

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from fooflighter:

I've tried Windex, Sprayway, and Invisible Glass, all of them ammonia free... Invisible glass does the nicest job with no streaking

Thanks. I’ll see if I can find that. I’m not really happy with the windex. Kinda streaky.

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

The Sprayaway is BY FAR the best stuff for all glass. No streaks, no ammonia, no damage to expensive coated glass. And no pain in the wallet area.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

[quoted image]

Me too Lloyd.

My biggest complaint is actually the cloth. Microfiber cloths leave behind small particles that sick sooooo damn much it drives me crazy.

#14 3 years ago

I also use Sprayway best glass cleaner I have ever used to date, I pick up a 3 pack from Sams/Costco.

#15 3 years ago

Thanks for all the input, fellas.

This glass was already installed on my Munsters Pro when I bought it, so I didn’t have any directions.

I did move it to my Star Wars Pro though...

1 year later
    #16 1 year ago

Is Stern’s HD glass coated on both sides? Is there a specific top and bottom that needs to be worried about when sliding into place?

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Is Stern’s HD glass coated on both sides? Is there a specific top and bottom that needs to be worried about when sliding into place?

Nope. Either way. But I like to keep the made in the USA sticker on the top left. But maybe they stopped putting that sticker on there. Can’t remember if my Zilla has it.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nope. Either way. But I like to keep the made in the USA sticker on the top left. But maybe they stopped putting that sticker on there. Can’t remember if my Zilla has it.

Thanks!

All three of my Sterns came with USA stickers: Godzilla LE, Elvira 40th, and Batman '66 Premium.

I just received a piece of Stern HD glass from Cointaker for my Batman '66. No sticker. No markings of any kind. I wouldn't even have been able to tell it was HD glass (prior to installing) had I not seen a post about how an iPhone's flash will shine white through regular glass and green through HD glass (confirmed).

I moved the USA sticker over to the HD glass... but I wanted to make sure there wasn't a chance I had the glass "upside down" and that I could somehow be destroying its HD coating every time I wiped it down.

Thanks again!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-hd-glass?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.