Quoted from gweempose:
Am I the only one who finds the notion of using a highly flammable substance anywhere near my pins extremely daunting?
Well, it's not really dangerous, especially if the machine is off.
Non-natural (synthetic) rubber is made from hydrocarbons, so a hydrocarbon based cleaner/solvent works best (fastest) to remove it. Similar to trying to remove oil from something, a hydrocarbon solvent works better than a water based one.
I always finish up with a water based cleaner, as it removes most of the residual hydrocarbon, that is sort of nasty to rubber & plastics.
Water is called the universal solvent, but is too slow in most cases to remove hydrocarbon based materials.
Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside