• Latest reply 3 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B430175-ED12-4DBC-9CE0-4ADDAF487009 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

What’s the best product to clean an EM Playfield?

0B430175-ED12-4DBC-9CE0-4ADDAF487009 (resized).jpeg0B430175-ED12-4DBC-9CE0-4ADDAF487009 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

If you're trying to remove ball swirls magic eraser and rubbing alcohol followed by Novus 2. If just general cleaning Novus 2 alone

#3 3 years ago

This is like asking what’s the best oil for your car or what’s the best ice cream.

Lots and lots and lots of posts on this topic. Everyone has their own routine.

Here’s a good place to start:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-and-waxing-pinball-machines-vids-guide

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If you're trying to remove ball swirls magic eraser and rubbing alcohol followed by Novus 2. If just general cleaning Novus 2 alone

Yup.
The Magic Eraser/Alcohol will leave a white haze so get that Novus 2 working quick. Be careful though, ME is rough stuff and you don't want to over do it. Novus 2 should be good anywhere as long as there's no flaking.

#5 3 years ago

Your question is one that I have asked as well and as stated previously each has they’re own style. Also, as mentioned, they’re are many threads but it can be tedious weighing through them all and again, you’ll get many different slants based on personal preference.

Having said the above, I have used the magic eraser and alcohol routine and it does clean the playfield but it can also remove the clear on older games that unless you plan to re-clear the playfield and I am guessing that you don’t, I would not go that route. Novus which is actually sold as a plastic polish will do the job provided that the playfield is mildly dirty and will not leave the white haze mess that an ME and alcohol will leave. I would also suggest using naphtha if you were so inclined as it too will clean well but not remove the clear. The clear on a playfield is the protective coating to the paint and once that has been removed exposes the paint to excess wear.

As far as waxing you may wish to consider using a good quality carnival was that very be had at a local auto parts store if you don’t already have some. I personally think this will do a great job. If the machine is in a private setting two coats of wax should be sufficient. The key here is to make sure that when you wax to not get a heavy buildup around the posts etc that will be hard to remove and leave a job that does not look good. Some say many more coats and that is ok if in a commercial environment but if in a private setting two should do you for a while. Hope the above was helpful

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

...I have used the magic eraser and alcohol routine and it does clean the playfield but it can also remove the clear on older games that unless you plan to re-clear the playfield and I am guessing that you don’t, I would not go that route.

Some people like to use it, but I don't like to over use it. I use it on chunky thick ball entry trails, but going whole hog on ball swirl marks can be a losing battle.

#7 3 years ago

The clear on old EMs was a thin coat of lacquer, not the hard auto clear people see now. In a 50 year old game that lacquer is pretty much toast anyway.

A coat of wax and a good ball and wear problems on a playfield that has been cleaned are pretty much nil.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-em-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.