(Topic ID: 195833)

Cleaning dirty light boards question.

By MustangPaul

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMGA0173 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0172 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0171 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0169 (resized).JPG
    #1 6 years ago

I just got a Jackbot and would like to clean the light boards. Is it ok to remove them and use soap and water and a tooth brush to clean them? Of course blow dry then let air dry in front of a fan afterwards. Thanks.

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I just got a Jackbot and would like to clean the light boards. Is it ok to remove them and use soap and water and a tooth brush to clean them? Of course blow dry then let air dry in front of a fan afterwards. Thanks.

I always have and never had issues. Dishwasher works well also....

#3 6 years ago

I've removed and simple greened them pretty good soaking. Works great. Dry, then a wipe down in rubbing alcohol.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

I do it all the time.

#5 6 years ago

Use a product called Purple Power. It's a cleaner degreaser found at auto retailers. It'll make soap and water look silly. I use it on damn near everything I clean.

I spray it on and scrub with a tapered paint brush. No need to let soak. Rinse well and blow dry with compressed air.

#6 6 years ago

MP
    You may also want to reflow all the .156 Pins (& .100 Pins if there are any) while you have the Boards off of your PF.

Much easier to do it now rather than later.

Common failure point for intermittent/non-working Insert Lights.

FYI I'd do it BEFORE you clean them up if you're going to.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I always have and never had issues. Dishwasher works well also....

Just don't use dishwasher detergent... they'll still work but will never look the same again.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Use a product called Purple Power. It's a cleaner degreaser found at auto retailers. It'll make soap and water look silly. I use it on damn near everything I clean.
    I spray it on and scrub with a tapered paint brush. No need to let soak. Rinse well and blow dry with compressed air.

This...but I throw mine in an ultrasonic cleaner with purple power diluted in the hot water. Nothing better.

#9 6 years ago

Thanks for the tips guys, I used Purple Power and a tooth brush then rinsed. Nice and clean now.

IMGA0169 (resized).JPGIMGA0169 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0171 (resized).JPGIMGA0171 (resized).JPG
    IMGA0172 (resized).JPGIMGA0172 (resized).JPG

IMGA0173 (resized).JPGIMGA0173 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

Paul if you look at the semi circles where the bulb sockets make contact you may see small divots in the solder. These divots should have solder reflowed on them or the bulbs may light intermittently.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

Paul if you look at the semi circles where the bulb sockets make contact you may see small divots in the solder. These divots should have solder reflowed on them or the bulbs may light intermittently.

Thanks grump I'll check them out for sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-dirty-light-boards-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.