Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04082018 005 (resized).JPG
    04082018 004 (resized).JPG
    20180703_212926 (resized).jpg
    DSCN6728 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6727 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#21 5 years ago

An interesting topic notwithstanding it has been all previously covered but I suspect we all modify our approach based on our own experience.

For example I have almost completely moved away from using a tumbler and ultrasonic cleaner. The results, for me at least, were not forthcoming.

On metal parts I first use a 12L parts cleaner with water soluble concentrate to remove grease & grime and then if needed and irrespective of rust soak in Evaporust. I find this product restores the plating finishes to their original sheen. Naturally any rust is removed most effectively.

04082018 005 (resized).JPG04082018 005 (resized).JPG
    On small metal parts I use a combination of a wire brush on a bench grinder or, for example, in the case of jones plugs (male & female) a wire brush within a dremel tool.

04082018 004 (resized).JPG04082018 004 (resized).JPG

For plastic parts, mainly posts, I use dishwashing detergent in the sink!

dhutton it seems that the oxidation on your machine is fairly severe and to be most effective a fair degree of disassembly will be required. But it is surprising how quickly you can move through it and the results will give wonderful personal payback.

#23 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

I guess what I was getting at is last night I cleaned some parts with evaporust and they look pretty good, and I wondered what keeps them from rusting again.

I guess, depending on the environment, that can certainly happen again. On particular parts that are prone to rusting eg lockdown receivers, rear side of lockdown bars, tilt housing etc after evaporust rust removal I clearcoat the part. This seems to eliminate/minimise rust returning.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayner.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-corrosion-on-em-s?tu=wayner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.