Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by zarco
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

04082018 005 (resized).JPG
    04082018 004 (resized).JPG
    20180703_212926 (resized).jpg
    DSCN6728 (resized).JPG
    DSCN6727 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 5 years ago

Ultrasonic is your friend as well. Even though these parts were not that corroded, they clean up real nice! As for those Jones plugs and their female parts, I sometimes wire brush them but often just use a CLR type Solution on a Q-tip, followed by a mild water-based cleaner to rinse off afterward. Here's a batch of stuff I just did in the ultrasonic...

20180703_212926 (resized).jpg20180703_212926 (resized).jpg
    #8 5 years ago

Yes it is. I cut it to about 50 50 strength with water. I use about an 8 to 10 minute cycle. Parts can even be put through a second time if needed things like coil sleeves. Pre-treating is a good thing to do as well. Try to get some of the grime and grease off things beforehand. Will extend the life of the cleaning solution. Also, letting the solution heat up thoroughly before hand is important. I like to have the solution be at least 30 degrees Celsius. Up to 45 degrees Celsius. Rinse them off with straight water after you pull them out. Then make sure you wipe them down pretty well before you let them dry. Here you will see a dehumidifier is right next to the area. Drying right afterward, is important to prevent further corrosion.

Quoted from dhutton:

Some great tips guys. Thanks very much.
    This game will be stripped down entirely. I've been looking for one of these for about 3 years.
    Stashyboy - is that mean green what you use in the ultrasonic? How long of a cleaning cycle do you use? Those parts look great.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from Playdium:

Toss out the old ones. PBR has both 44 & 47 and are inexpensive to replace. Clean out your sockets with a dremel first.

I do a mixture of these things. I do use some new bulbs, but if you're willing to put in the time, original bulbs are always superior. The filaments are stronger, and the old bulbs used to be made with a vacuum to remove the oxygen inside them. Don't think you can say that about the new bulbs these days... The Cheapo ones work but they don't last that long. In the picture above, I did put a batch of bulbs through the ultrasonic cleaner. Takes the light corrosion right off them as well as cleaning the globe. You may need to check them afterward. Make sure they are not broken.

#17 5 years ago

Steve Young told me that bit of information Jr, so I don't dispute it from that source. He admits the new bulbs are much cheaper than the old ones Holland and GE brands.

4 weeks later
    #20 5 years ago
    Quoted from dhutton:

Once a part has been cleaned either ultrasonically or with something like evaporust, do you have to coat the part to prevent further rust or oxidation?
    If so, why not just media blast and paint?

Sure if you have access to that option. My Ultrasonic Cleaner costs $150 and takes up one square foot. Does a great job no mess and yes, I do sometimes clear coat certain parts afterward. Evapo-rust same thing, product is easy to buy cheap, and Tube cost me about 20 bucks to build.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stashyboy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-corrosion-on-em-s?tu=stashyboy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.