(Topic ID: 48365)

Cleaning boards

By RudeDogg1

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20121209222615.jpg
    DSCF0649.JPG
    DSCF0633.JPG
    DSCF0639.JPG
    DSCF0649.JPG
    DSCF0633.JPG
    DSCF0639.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 11 years ago

Scrubbing bubbles. Spray on, 10 seconds later, rinse off. Let dry.

#5 11 years ago

Dishwasher for wire harnesses, ribbon cables, plastic ramps. Scrubbing bubbles for pcb boards, lamp boards. Soak coils with original labels in Mean Green and water solution. Purple Power and new Scotch Brite pads for metal lane guides, and coil assemblies. Sand under pf to remove carbon dust stains. Novus 1 for pf plastics.

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

I've seen the posts for cleaning circuit boards with scrubbing bubbles or other some other degreaser, and it's not quite as simple as that.
    1. Remove all socketed chips.
    2. Clean with scrubbing bubbles and soft bristle brush.
    3. Rinse with warm water.
    4. Rinse with high grade alcohol.
    5. Use compressed air to remove any remaining moisture.
    Even after all that you still risk corrosion on the board, and you'll never know because it may take years for the corrosion to damage the board.
    I would recommend a product intended for cleaning circuit boards like MG Chemicals Super Wash.

My answer was simplified because it's been gone over many times on pinside. However, I trust the information from pinsider robertmee:

"...All these boards were washed during manufacturing after the solder pads were applied with water solutions...Water is not the enemy for cleaning. Leaving water on the board and powering it up is. Although if you're concerned, use distilled water. The problem with water is leaving salt/mineral deposits which can short things out. That's why an alcohol bath afterwards is a good idea. Or use a non-conductive water like distilled.

Disclosure: EE also with a bit more than 20 years"

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Sparky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cleaning-boards?tu=Sparky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.